Did You Know?: Hail Purdue Wall
September 3, 2015
The Hail Purdue Wall is south of Elliott Hall of Music, where the sounds of Purdue are played most frequently. (Purdue University photo/Charles Jischke)
A two-year endeavor to memorialize the spirit of Purdue culminated in the Hail Purdue Wall, a permanent tribute to the century-old fight song.
The wall was strategically positioned near Elliott Hall of Music because that's where one hears the sounds of Purdue, according to information from the Purdue Alumni Association. The project was a collaboration among the Purdue Alumni Association, Physical Facilities, and students from the class of 2013 and Iron Key.
The Hall Purdue Wall was installed in fall 2014 and dedicated Nov. 8, 2014. Constructed using glass and brick, the wall is consistent with the rest of the red brick campus architecture. It was decided that the words would be etched onto glass to allow one to see the fight song with the "scenes of Old Purdue" behind it. The wall commemorates the 100th anniversary of “Hail Purdue,” which was penned by student James Morrison in 1912.
At night, the wall is illuminated, with the lighted Bell Tower glowing behind it.