Purdue on Bloomberg list for undergrad alumni as CEOs
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue is one of nine universities around the country that has at least eight undergraduate alumni serving as chief executive officers of Standard & Poor's 500 companies, a new list from Bloomberg shows.
Both Purdue and Indiana universities have eight alumni on the list. Topping the list is the University of California system with 12. But Bloomberg notes that 12 CEOs also are members of what it calls "The School of Hard Knocks," meaning they have no college degree.
The list is current as of April 30. Purdue alumni on the list are:
* Charles Davidson, chairman/CEO of Noble Energy Inc. He has a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering.
* Gregory Wasson, president/CEO of Walgreen Co. He has a bachelor's degree in pharmacy.
* Jeffrey Gardner, president/CEO of Windstream Corp. He has a bachelor's degree in finance.
* Mark Miller, chairman/president/CEO of Stericycle Inc. He has a bachelor's degree in computer science.
* Richard Smith, chairman/CEO of Equifax Inc. He has a bachelor's degree in general management/marketing.
* Roger Linquist, chairman/president/CEO of Metropcs Communications Inc. He has a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.
* Samuel Allen, chairman /president/CEO of Deere & Co. He has a bachelor's degree in industrial management.
* John Martin, chairman/CEO of Gilead Sciences Inc. He has a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering.
Writer: Judith Barra Austin, 765-494-2432, email@example.com