Health Insurance Information
General Health Insurance Resources
- For questions regarding the Purdue student health insurance plans, contact the Health Insurance Office at the Purdue University Student Health Services.
- For questions regarding the Purdue staff/faculty health insurance plans, contact Human Resources.
- Review this guide from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota for an explanation and definitions of common terms.
- Healthcare.gov provides a general guide to Understanding Your Health Care Coverage.
Trans-Affirming Health Insurance
Purdue University Trans-Inclusive Student Health Insurance
Purdue University’s student insurance plans provide coverage for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and many gender affirming surgeries.
- Information about the current student health insurance plans
- Information regarding which procedures are covered
Purdue University Trans-Inclusive Staff/Faculty Health Insurance
Purdue University's faculty and staff insurance plans provide coverage for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and gender affirming surgeries.
- Information about the current plans, including informational brochures, are available on the Human Resources Benefits website.
- Information regarding which procedures are coverd under the plans can be found on the Anthem website.
TRANSITION-RELATED CARE INSURANCE COVERAGE
Determining If A Health Insurance Plan Covers Transition-Related Care
- The best way to determine this is to ask your insurance company by calling the customer service phone number on the back of your insurance card.Some health insurance companies have stipulations regarding the coverage of certain transition-related procedures. Use specific language to describe the type of hormone-replacement therapy and/or gender-affirming surgeries you are seeking coverage for and check to see if your insurance company requires documentation, pre-authorization, or pre-approval before they will approve coverage of the procedure(s).
- If you are enrolled in a Purdue University staff/faculty or student health insurance plan, coverage is provided.
- Review this 2012 guide to understanding trans-inclusive health care coverage from the Human Rights Campaign which may help you determine if your plan covers transition-related medical care.
Finding A Health Insurance Plan That Covers Transition-Related Care
- Review the Guide to finding trans-inclusive health insurance plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace from Healthcare.gov.
- The National Center for Transgender Equality provides information for obtaining coverage for trans health care through Medicare.
- National Center for Transgender Equality – Know Your Rights: Healthcare
If you would like more information or resources for obtaining or navigating health insurance plans, please contact us at LGBTQ@purdue.edu.
- Resources for Faculty and Staff
- Trans Resources
- Gender-Inclusive Restrooms
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health Resources
- HIV/STI Resources
- Chosen Names at Purdue
- Changing your Name/Gender Marker
- Involvement Opportunities
- Local, State, & National Resources
- Support Resources for Being Away from Campus During the Holidays
- Coming Out Resources