Intended for use by all Purdue University campuses.
These instructions presume that you (the person adding the captions) have already uploaded the video into Blackboard or Kaltura. (Only the person who uploaded the video will be able to add captions.) In addition, you must already have a caption file in .SRT or .DFXP format.
- If you do not have a Kaltura MediaSpace account, request access by contacting ITaP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once your account is available, go to the MediaSpace site at https://mediaspace.itap.purdue.edu.
- Select login.
- Login using your career account username and password.
- Select My Media.
- You will see a list of media previously uploaded.
- Roll your mouse over the video getting captions, then select Edit.
If you don’t use a mouse, select the link that is the title of the video. Then select the Edit link.
- Select the Captions tab.
- Select Upload file.
- The Upload caption file dialog box opens.
- Click on the Browse button to select a caption file to upload. The file must be in SRT or DFXP format.
- Select the Language of the caption text from the drop down list. Type the first letter of the language you wish to select to move quickly through the long list.
- Type a Label. This text will appear in a caption selector window when the video is ready for viewing. “Captions”, “Closed Captions”, or “English Captions” are some options for a label.
- Select Save.
- Select < Back to media.
- Captions should now be turned on. To check, mouse over the video window. In the upper right corner, the captions label you typed in earlier should be visible or partially visible.
- If the label says None when you mouse over, then captions are not turned on. You may turn on captions by clicking on None.
- A menu appears. Select the captions label you typed in earlier.
- Captions are now turned on.