LaFaSA: Purdue University-Latino Faculty/Staff Association
The Latino Faculty And Staff Association (LaFaSA) is an educational organization whose purpose is to be an advocate for the Latino issues in higher education, which also includes the educational welfare and advancement of the Latino community. Our Goal is to promote the social and cultural dimensions of Latino history, heritage, and culture as it relates to education.
LaFaSA is dedicated to hearing and promoting the voice of all Latino/a faculty and staff on all levels at Purdue University. LaFaSA also strives to create community and a support network facilitating Latinos/as being a visible and viable part of the university environment.
The goals of LaFaSA are to communicate interests, concerns, and awareness of Latinos/as; assist in recruitment and retention of Latino/a faculty, staff, and students at Purdue University; foster the educational missions of the University and progress of our faculty and staff through the ranks; and enhance multicultural knowledge of Latinos/as among faculty, staff, administration, and students of the Purdue and general community.
Calendar of Events
To be announced. Please sign up for the LaFaSA listserve – see below for instructions. Also check with the LCC calendar.
Latinos have historically valued a strong sense of community. LaFaSA strives to create that sense of community on campus through a variety of activities which are designed to meet the diverse needs of Purdue’s Latino community of faculty and staff.
- Meetings-LaFaSA meets twice each semester
- Informal lunch gatherings-an opportunity to meet to catch up with Latino Faculty and staff over a casual lunch
- Copitas: Faculty and staff meet after hours to socialize and network
- Outreach to Latino/a campus service staff
- Collaborative relationships and activities with the Latino Cultural Center, Diversity Resource Office, and Black Caucus; and various student groups
- Comida para Estudiar: Faculty and staff work in teams to prepare meals for students the week before final exams
- Advocacy for Latino voice on campus and in education
- Amor por Nuestras Familias: Holiday outreach assistance for Latino families on campus
- LaFaSA Faculty Committee: meetings to follow the general LaFaSA meetings
Latino Scholars Forum
The next Latino Scholars Forum will be held in 2010. Watch for Call for Proposals during the second semester!
Listserv Moderated by LaFaSA
LaFaSA is concerned with being a viable part of the Latino community on campus and in the state of Indiana. In order to meet the community’s need to connect and share information, LaFaSA maintains a listserv. The listserve is moderated and filters unwanted or excessive messages.
If you are interested in joining the LaFaSA list, visit https://lists.purdue.edu/mailman/listinfo/lafasa.
LaFaSA Officers, 2009-2012
- Dr. Luciana C. de Oliveira
Dept of Curriculum & Instruction
College of Education
- David Robledo
College of Engineering
- Dr. Ignacio Camarillo
Faculty Committee Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
- Marisol Uribe
Business Operations Specialist
Latino Cultural Center