Avanzando Through College at Purdue University 2021-2022
Avanzando through College is a 12-month program that helps first-generation Latino students to navigate the college system. Starting in Fall 2021 and keeping the same cohort of students through Spring 2022, the Latino Cultural Center will implement a 13-workshop curriculum that will provide participants with opportunities to gain the skills to graduate from college in a timely manner and soft skills that apply to future career opportunities.
Participants are provided with wrap-around support via check-ins with a case manager and peer mentors as well as opportunities to connect with resources across Purdue’s campus.
Participants who attend ALL mandatory sessions will be eligible for a $500 stipend in the spring.
- First-Generation College Student or
- Latino/a/x/e and
- Year 1-2 Traditional Undergraduate Student (High School to Purdue) or
- Year 1-4 Transfer Undergraduate Student (Community College to Purdue) or
- Current Student at Ivy Tech Community College-Lafayette Campus
(will take place on Purdue University’s campus from 5:30 PM-7:30 PM ET)
- September 17th - Orientation
- September 21st - Building Relationships
- October 5th - Studying Skills
- October 19th - Celebrate Identity
- November 16th - Taking Care of Yourself
- November 30th - Financial Aid
- January 25th - Study Skills Check-In
- February 8th - Finding an Internship
- February 22nd - Cultura de salud
- March 8th - Lideres en servicio
- March 22nd - Financial Checkup
- April 5th - Public Speaking Skills
- April 19th - Building Relationships Part 2
You can apply to be part of the program by filling the form at the following link, which includes a maximum 500-word essay on your interest to participate and what makes you a good candidate.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 1st
Applicants notified of Application Status: Thursday, September 2nd
Virtual Interviews: Tuesday, September, 7th - Thursday, September 9th
Established in 2015 through UnidosUS, the nation’s largest Latino civil rights and advocacy organization, Avanzando through College was created to provide support to affiliates serving Latinx college students. Through this culturally relevant college retention program, students spend a year participating in meetings focused on topics such as study skills, public speaking, and relationship-building with their peers, professors, and advisors.
Learn more at https://www.unidosus.org/