Leading virtual teams or those working hybrid schedules (home/campus) requires supervisors to double down on the fundamentals of good management. Fundamentals include establishing clear goals, facilitating productive meetings, communicating clearly and leveraging team talent and individual strengths.
The following supervisory competencies are essential. Click subject to view core skills and important resources. (The resource links requires access via a Purdue network computer and/or VPN. They often link to Purdue's LinkedIn Learning Resources.) There are also two click-able references that can easily be printed.
- Orient employees to new remote work space
Monitor goal accomplishment and provide ongoing employee training
- Reward strong employee performance and improve weak performance
- Leverage technology to support virtual communications and team meetings
- Establish networking and team engagement activities
- Track, record and communicate team performance.