Department Support and Supervisor InformationClick on title for full story.
Issue #8 - February 12, 2019
Department Support and supervisors creating or editing positions have a new Positions Fields Overview quick reference. The reference outlines the available position fields and definitions. It also includes helpful tips. For example, the overview acknowledges Start Date as the date the position is/was created or the individual’s effective hire date, if hire date has passed. A future date is not acceptable as a start date.
Department support and supervisors can follow the Updating Position Details to update the position title on vacant or mass (grouped) positions.
Issue #7 - January 22, 2019
The Create a Position (Add Peer Position or Lower Level Position) quick reference has been updated with the following information on page 5:
- Do not use a future date when creating a new position.
- Use the current date, or a prior date if the person going into the position started prior to the current date. For example, today is 1/16/19, a Grad RA needs to transfer to a Grad TA position effective 1/1/19. The start date field when creating the Grad TA position should be to 1/1/19.
Other Useful Tips
- When creating a “mass” position, please make sure the position is set to mass, the FTE is set to the appropriate number of individuals you plan to put into the position, and “to be hired” is set to yes.
- A supervisor cannot be in a mass position with other employees. Supervisors must hold a one-to-one positions. If you have a position that is normally a mass position, such as a post doc, but need it to be one-to-one for supervising purposes note that in the comments box so the position approver will not need to reach out to you.
- A mass position cannot report to more than one supervisor. If you have individuals in a mass position and some of them need to report to supervisor A and the rest need to report to supervisor B, then you will need two separate positions (one for each supervisor).
- For one-to-one positions, if you plan to have overlap in the position for cross training purposes before the current incumbent leaves the position, you will need to make sure there is a future dated termination in the system for the current incumbent in order for the position to allow more than one person to be assigned.
- If the person leaving the position is transferring within the university, please reach out to HR-Compensation directly for how to handle these situations.
When To Change Position vs. Employee Record
- For supervisor changes, whether the position is filled or vacant, make the change on the position.
- For changing a position from regular to mass, whether the position is filled or vacant, make the change on the position.
- For all other changes, if the position is filled, update the employee record. This includes position title changes, employment type changes, job changes, department changes, etc.
- For all other changes, if the position is vacant,update the position.
Issue #6 - January 8, 2019
Both supervisors and department support (administrative positions within the unit) have the ability to create and edit positions. A vacant position, set as ‘To Be Hired’ within Position Details, is the first step in the recruitment process. Two resources have been added to the Position Management training site that will help determine correct field completions, including viewing position numbers.
Lists SuccessFactors class codes, class text and employment type code in comparison to SAP employee group code, group text and Employee SubGroup.
Provides the ability to view the SAP Position number, title and org unit compared to the SuccessFactors Position number, Department number and Department text.
The recruitment process starts with a vacant position (example ), ready to be hired . As stated in another article, the supervisor and/or department support can create or edit the position. The first place to view positions and view position numbers is the Position Org Chart. The Position Org Chart is viewable under Company Information, along with the (Person) Org Chart and Directory.
Tips and Tricks:
- You can search by person name or department name to view an organizational chart through the Org Chart. The Org Chart display you and your information, if searching for self. However the Position Org Chart will not display your own position or allow search by your own ‘position number.’ (That’s because you cannot edit your own position!)
- You can search by position number or person name in the Position Org Chart. When typing position number, if a full number is not used, it will bring back similar numbers alphabetically by position title. The below example contacted a search of 4000406 (incomplete position number).
Issue #4 - January 3, 2019
Department support staff (administrative positions within the unit) and supervisors can update position information in SuccessFactors. The Updating Position Details QRG outlines the steps to quickly update fields associated with the position, including changing the direct supervisor position, noted as the Higher-Level Position field. Human Resources (HR Admin – Position) receives a notification when a change is submitted. The initiator of the change will be notified of actions taken by Human Resources (HR Admin – Position). Position Management references are available on the Training webpage.
During the termination process, the business office has the opportunity to assign a temporary supervisor for direct reports, when the position is vacated. The Creating a Termination Request QRG outlines the steps on page 7. The termination and other employee data change reference materials are located on the Training webpage.
The Employee Class and Type Crosswalk is the perfect guide to reference when changing employee or position information. The crosswalk should be used when someone is trying to determine the appropriate employment type to assign to an employee or position. This will help choose the correct employment type based on the employee class assigned to the position.