Human Resources home page HUMAN RESOURCES
purchasing glasses

Injured at work? What should you do?

Getting hurt or sick due to a work-related situation isn’t something any of us want to do. However, it does happen on occasion and when it does, you need to know the appropriate steps to take. The first step is to inform your supervisor immediately if you are injured or become ill on the job because of a work-related situation, even if you do not require immediate medical care.

Next, your supervisor is required to complete the First Report of Injury (FROI) form as soon as possible, but no later than 24 hours after being notified of your workplace illness or injury. The FROI form – as well as instructions on how to fill it out, where to send it and how to electronically submit it - can be found on the Radiological and Environmental Management website. In addition, the Worker’s Compensation Witness Report Form is also accessible on the site.   

Purdue employees who are injured while carrying out assigned duties on University property or while traveling on University business may be eligible for coverage under The Indiana Worker's Compensation Act and the Indiana Occupational Diseases Act – which were passed to relieve the hardship caused by occupational injury and disease. Worker's compensation provides benefits to employees who experience accidental injury or illness "arising out of" and "in the course of" employment. All employees paid through Purdue University payroll - faculty, staff, administrative, full-time, part-time, exempt, hourly, fellows and student employees - are covered by worker’s compensation benefits. JWF Specialty is the company that manages Purdue's worker's compensation program and is responsible for verifying if the employee’s injury is eligible for benefits under the Act.

Employees who require medical treatment for a work-related injury or illness need to make sure they seek treatment at an approved treatment facility. The employee’s supervisor will confirm that the employee has transportation to the appropriate medical facility on the day of injury. 

Detailed information on all aspects of worker’s compensation – including filing a claim, obtaining medical treatment, payment for medical care and time lost and more - is available on the Benefits Worker’s Compensation web page.

Human Resources can be contacted at 49-4222, or via HR Help for questions. For assistance with specific claims issues, you may contact Deborah Popa, return-to-work administrator in Human Resources, at 49-40306 or via email at  
Copyright © 2015, Human Resources, All rights reserved.
Freehafer Hall of Administrative Services (FREH) - 401 S. Grant St., West Lafayette, IN 47907

Link to Purdue University