Making sure affairs are in order and checking in from time to time is key when it comes to protecting loved ones. Ensuring your beneficiary information is updated is one way to help your loved ones when it matters most.
Several of your Purdue benefits provide for beneficiaries in the event of your death so updated information is very important.
Designating your beneficiaries ensures that your funds are appropriately distributed per your wishes and not defaulted to your estate. Once designated, it is recommended to review your beneficiary designations each year to ensure no changes are needed.
To make it easier for you, below is a list of those places. You can update your beneficiary records for each of the benefit programs with the instructions listed below. For more information on the beneficiary update process, contact the plan vendor at the respective numbers listed below.
Organizing My Affairs worksheet
- Provided by PURA, this worksheet is designed to help you capture the sometimes overlooked or forgotten details when it comes to estate planning.
- Once saved to your computer, you can fill in the blank fields, save and share copies with your loved ones.
Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Log into your HSA Bank account to begin.
- Once logged in, click the Profile link in the menu at the top of the page.
- On the right side of the next page, click the "Add Beneficiary" link across from Beneficiaries.
Paper: Designation of Beneficiary Form
Note: If you are married and designate someone other than a spouse as your primary beneficiary, you must submit a beneficiary form with the notarized consent of your spouse to HSA Bank.
Life Insurance - Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) and Term Life
- On the One Campus Portal, select “Benefits Enrollment (Faculty & Staff) – Benefitfocus;” log in with your Purdue career account. Select the “To Enroll, Make a Change, and View Your Benefits CLICK HERE” gold button located at the top right of the screen. Click the gold “Get Started” box. Review your dependent information; click “Next”.
- From the “Current Benefits” page, scroll down to the “Your Life Coverage - Basic Employee Term Life” section. Click “Add” next to “Beneficiaries.”
- On the “Life: Beneficiary information” page; click “Add Beneficiary.” Select the “Beneficiary Type,” choose from Person, Organization, Trust or Estate, then click “Next.”
- Select “Enter New beneficiary” or choose from the pre-populated list of dependents. Under “Use” choose the named beneficiary. Select the “Beneficiary Type,” “Allocation Percentage,” then “Add Beneficiary” to name additional beneficiaries, if applicable; click “Next.”
- Repeat steps 7-10 to “Add” beneficiaries for the AD&D life insurance plan. Once you’ve added your beneficiary information, you will be taken to the summary page. Verify the information is correct and click “Save” at the bottom of this page. After saving, you will be directed back to the “Welcome to the Purdue Benefits Portal” page.
- For assistance, contact Human Resources at 765-494-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paper: Not available for beneficiary changes.
Universal Life, Critical Illness and Accident Insurance
- Click on "Your Profile" in the green menu bar at top of page.
- Click the "Beneficiaries" link.
Paper: Call 800-343-0860 to request a form.
Fidelity also allows beneficiaries to be added or updated via text message (text CARE to 343898). The new text feature leads directly to the beneficiary page upon login to Fidelity NetBenefits.
As a reminder, Fidelity retirement planners offer free services to Purdue employees including assistance with establishing beneficiaries within Fidelity, retirement planning, savings, and more. For more details on what to expect from a retirement planner meeting, see the “Retirement Planning – How You Benefit from a Fidelity Consultation” video.
- Click PERF Member Login.
- Click the "My Account" tab at the top, then under "I want to," click "Make a beneficiary election."
- On the next page, click "Beneficiaries."
- Click the “Make Changes” button.
Paper: Call PERF at 888-526-1687 and request a beneficiary change form be sent by mail.
Police Officers and Firefighters Pension Plan:
Paper: Designation of Survivor and Beneficiary Information Form
- Click link above to open form
- Complete form and return to the address listed at the bottom of the page
- Email email@example.com or call 765-496-1964 for assistance
Retirement plans in place prior to 2011:
- Click “SUPPORT” at the top of the page, then “Transactions & Information” under “ONLINE HELP.”
- Scroll down and select “Update Beneficiaries”. You will then be prompted to log in or register an account.
- For assistance, call their national toll-free number at 1-800-842-2776 or the West Lafayette office at 765-497-8740.
Paper: Call the national toll-free number, 800-842-2776, and choose the option for beneficiary change. The form is also available online, or call the West Lafayette office at 765-497-8740.
Lincoln Group Variable Annuity (Former Retirement Plan Administrator)
Online: Not available for beneficiary changes
Paper: Call Lincoln Group at 800-341-0441, and press the option for customer service. Request that a beneficiary change form be mailed to you.
COREBRIDGE FINANCIAL/AIG/VALIC (FORMER RETIREMENT PLAN ADMINISTRATOR)
Online: Not available for beneficiary changes
Phone: Call 800-448-2542 for assistance with beneficiary changes.
American Century (Former Retirement Plan Administrators)
- Select “Individual Investors” on the right side, then click on the words “Individual Investors.”
- On the left side of the next page under “Find It Fast,” choose “Forms & Applications.” then “Designation of Beneficiary” from the list.
Phone: 800-345-3533 – Business Retirement Services will assist with beneficiary changes.
- Beneficiary Management
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan Committee
- Fee Information for Purdue Defined Contribution Plans
- Fidelity Investor Center - PMU Office
- Fidelity Account Log In
- Manage Your Retirement Plan
- PERF Account Log In
- Retirement Transition Options
- Retirement Readiness
- Voluntary Retirement Savings Plans
- Biannual Road to Retirement Program
- Schedule with a Fidelity Retirement Planner
- 10 Things You Get from Fidelity
- Resources available from Fidelity for departments