A.H. Ismail Center
- The Ismail Center will be closed on Wednesday, July 4th for Independence Day.
- Take a look at what's coming to the Ismail Center at Lyles-Porter Hall. Find out the benefits of becoming a member, located under the membership tab!
Hours of Operation
Weekdays: 6:00 am-8:00 pm
Saturdays: 9:00 am-3:00 pm
Sundays: 12:00 noon-5:00 pm
- Closed on University Holidays
- The indoor track is open to Ismail Center Members from 6:30 am to 10:00am & 12:00 noon to 1:30pm (Mon. – Fri.; no weekend access); doors between the track and Lambert are locked at 1:30pm.
Public Health Tips
- Fitness centers can often be a place where bacteria spread easily. For better gym hygiene, be sure to use sanitation wipes on all of the machines you use. Wash and dry your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after exercising. If you are ill, take a break from the gym until you recover to avoid spreading germs.
The A.H. Ismail Center has moved and is now located in the new Lyles-Porter Hall. Lyles-Porter Hall has been designed as a state-of-the-art Learning, Discovery, and Engagement facility which houses the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences; the IU School of Medicine, Lafayette Campus; and clinics for Clinical Psychology, Nursing, Nutrition Science, Speech and Hearing, and the Ismail Center.
The A.H. Ismail Center for Health, Exercise and Nutrition is a collaborative effort between the Departments of Health and Kinesiology and Nutrition Science at Purdue University. It was opened in April 1999 but has its roots in the 1960’s with the inception of the Adult Fitness Program. The Center provides faculty a centralized facility for conducting multidisciplinary research in health, exercise and nutrition; students a clinical laboratory for acquiring and polishing technical and leadership skills; individuals a wellness center for achieving and maintaining a maximal degree of health; and the local community a resource for increasing physical activity and exercise participation.
A highlight of our center is the Adult Fitness Program (AFP). In the AFP members can enjoy a relaxed exercise environment filled with modern, state-of-the-art equipment. The membership also provides students with opportunities to practice and refine skills learned in the classroom such as health and fitness testing, exercise prescription, exercise leadership, counseling and management.
Optimum quality of life through regular physical activity.
MissionTo provide a learning laboratory dedicated to the practice of physical activity to prevent and manage chronic diseases across the life span. Through continued innovation, we engage in lifestyle related interventional strategies serving students, researchers and the community.