HHS IT Service Level Guidelines
This page represents the service level guidelines between HHS IT and The College of Health and Human Sciences (HHS) for the provisioning of IT services required to support and sustain teaching, learning, and research outcomes.
Goals & Objectives
HHS IT's Mission: Build and sustain a highly efficient and effective core information technology infrastructure in support of the College of HHS strategic plan.
The purpose of this page is to ensure that the proper elements and commitments are in place to provide consistent IT service support and delivery to the College of HHS by HHS IT and other Purdue University IT service providers.
The goal of these guidelines is to obtain mutual understanding for IT service provision between HHS IT and the College of HHS.
The objectives of this page are to:
- Provide clear reference to service ownership, accountability, roles and/or responsibilities.
- Present a clear, concise, and measurable description of service provision to the customer.
- Match perceptions of expected service provision with actual service support & delivery.
The following IT Service Provider(s) and Customer(s) will be used as the basis of the page and represent the primary stakeholders associated with this SLG:
IT Service Provider(s): HHS IT (“Provider”)
IT Customer(s): College of Health and Human Sciences (“Customer”)
These stakeholders are responsible for the deployment and ongoing support of this document.
HHS IT Service Support Staff Contact Information
All HHS IT service requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the HHS IT Helpdesk Ticket icon on your desktop. If your computer is not functioning you may call your designated support technician or the main service desk line at 62896.
HHS IT Service Support Availability
HHS IT Service Support Hours
- Provided during Purdue University business hours
- Monday - Friday
- 8am - 5pm
- Excludes University holidays
- Support requests outside of business hours should be made to email@example.com before the event, if known.
HHS IT Emergency Service Support
- Support outside of business hours is subject to the availability of our support technicians and should not be expected or guaranteed.
- The customer should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their request and CC their designated support technician.
- If the issue is in regards to a centrally managed Purdue University ITaP service (e.g. Exchange email, Career account, network issues, Career storage space), the customer should contact the central ITaP service desk at 44000 or email@example.com.
HHS IT Service Resolution Time Frames
HHS IT will make best effort to service related incidents and/or requests submitted by the Customer within the following time frames:
- Initial Contact = contact with the user regarding the problem to discuss the issue, troubleshooting possibilities, and repairs
- Working = customer is back up and working as usual, but this may be on a loaner computer if the original machine is broken beyond a simple fix
- Critical - work stopped
- Initial Contact: <2 business hours | Working: <4 business hours
- Computer will not turn on
- Cannot connect to Internet
- Cannot get to network storage locations
- Keyboard or mouse is not working
- Important - work highly impaired
- Initial Contact: <4 business hours | Working: <8 business hours
- Specific application needed for your job is not functioning
- Update needed for business critical application
- Email issues
- Request - work is not impaired but needs assistance
- Initial Contact: <8 business hours | Working: <48 business hours
- Non-critical Software install request
- Purchasing assistance
- Permissions change
- New file storage folder creation
*If the cause of the incident is beyond the supported scope of HHS IT these timelines will not be valid and will fall under the Service Level Guidelines of the service provider (e.g. ITaP, hardware vendor, software vendor)
HHS IT Service Level Guidelines
HHS IT will only support Purdue owned equipment, HHS IT services outlined in the Service Catalog, and facilitate support regarding ITaP managed services.
Customer responsibilities and/or requirements in support of these guidelines include:
- Adherence to all Purdue University policies, processes and procedures.
- Important IT related Purdue University policies are outlined below:
- All users must log in to Purdue owned equipment with their Career account or supplied user account (i.e. for laptops).
- If a Career account needs to be created, you must submit a Request for Privileges form through the College of HHS Business Office.
- If a Guest account is needed for a visiting scholar or other temporary user, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Faculty name (requestor)
- Name of guest
- Phone number
- Email address of guest
- Dates guest access is needed
- If an Exchange account is needed, email email@example.com and include the following information:
- Employee Name
- Group mailing lists and shared network storage drives employee needs access to
- All accounts will be created as normal users. If Administrative rights are deemed necessary for the customer to work they will need to sign the HHS IT administrative rights waiver. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for this form.
- Note: These privileges can be revoked at anytime by HHS IT.
- All IT related purchases must be approved by HHS IT.
- Please send all IT purchase requests to email@example.com with the following info:
- Account information (if known)
- All IT procurement is to be done through Purdue approved vendors:
- SMARTcomputing (desktops, laptops)
- GovConnection (laptops, hardware, accessories)
- Printers (Cannon IV, SMARTprinting)
- A full list of Purdue University approved vendors can be found at:
- All computer hardware purchases must be purchased with a warranty.
- If the hardware is outside of the scope of SMARTcomputing, then you must also purchase a support agreement with the vendor.
- All requests for IT assistance should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like, you can CC your designated support technician
- If your computer cannot function please call your designated HHS departmental IT technician or the main help desk at 49-62896
- All work related data should be stored in your personal network storage drive U: or research collaboration storage folder (e.g. S:, T: drives).
- Users are required to leave their computer turned on at all times. At the end of the day you need to lock your computer (Ctrl + Alt + Del then Lock) or Log off.
- Change your password by pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE and then click “Change a password”. After changing your password you should reboot your computer and wait 10 minutes to log back in. If you have a mobile device connected to email, please change the password on that device after you have rebooted your computer.
- Only Purdue owned equipment should be connected to the wired network.
Service Provider Requirements
Service Provider responsibilities and/or requirements in support of these guidelines include:
- Meeting response times associated with service related incidents agreed to in this document.
- Generating quarterly reports on service requests to be delivered to HHS IT Director.
- Training required staff on appropriate service support tools.
- Appropriate notification to Customer for all scheduled maintenance through Change Management process.
- Facilitation of all service support activities involving incident, problem, change, release and configuration management.
Changes to any service in the HHS IT Service Catalog will be guided through our Change Management process.
Change Management Process:
- Request For Change (RFC) is submitted to email@example.com using the RFC template. The template includes information regarding:
- Who raised the change
- Why is the change needed
- Responsibility for the change
- Change Schedule
- And so on…
- RFC is sent off to the Change Advisory Board (CAB) for review
- RFC is accepted by CAB
- Change is built and tested
- Change is deemed production ready
- CAB approves the deployment
- Change is communicated to affected users
- Change is deployed
- Change is reviewed and closed
Members of HHS Change Advisory Board (CAB)
- Anita Tuttle
- Justin Caldwell
- Andy Beal
- Alan Mehringer
- Mary Simon
- Bonnie Fox
- Dave Kessler
- Drew Keedy
- Bruce Bresnahan
HHS IT will observe a maintenance window for software updates to servers and computers.
- These will occur on the 2nd Saturday of each month from 10pm-2am. During this time all networks services will not be available. This includes file storage, network printing, Internet, etc.
Desktop/Laptop - Windows Updates
- Each Sunday from 12am - 4am Windows updates will be pushed out along with updates for Java, Flash, and Adobe Reader. All computers will reboot after they have received the updates. Please save your data at the end of each day.
The Business Relationship Manager (“Document Owner”) is responsible for facilitating regular reviews of this page. Contents of this page may be amended as required, provided mutual agreement is obtained from the Change Advisory Board and communicated to all affected parties. The Document Owner will incorporate all subsequent revisions and obtain mutual agreements / approvals as required.
Business Relationship Manager: Justin Caldwell - HHS IT Service Manager
Review Period: Annually
Previous Review Date: None