Purdue's myMail service will be inaccessible starting Feb. 1, 2016. Please follow the instructions below if you haven't migrated off of the service by Feb. 1.
How do I transition to Office 365?
Purdue students and official retirees should use the following steps to transition their myMail accounts to the new Office 365 email service. *Faculty (including Visiting Scholars, Continuing Lecturers, Limited Term Lecturers, and Visiting Faculty) and staff may click here for more information.
Instructions for students and Purdue retirees:
- Activate your Office 365 account. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
- On Purdue's Change Mailbox page, select your preferred Purdue email service (Office 365 is recommended for students, while Exchange is recommended for faculty and staff). Please note that students will have only 7 days to transfer old myMail messages to their new email service after completing this step).
- Transfer your myMail email to Office 365. For assistance with accessing your mail or moving your messages from myMail, click here.
Please review these tips before making the transition:
- The ability to log in to myMail will be disabled Feb. 1, 2016. If you are transitioning your Purdue email on or after this date, you will still be able to transfer your email to Purdue's Office 365 service. Individuals who wish to forward their mail to a third-party service, such as Gmail or Yahoo, on or after Feb. 1 must first move their email to Office 365, and then they may transfer it to another email service. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
- When activating your account, please wait 72 hours before contacting the Customer Service Center. NOTE: If you change your mailbox forward to another service during this time, the creation process will fail and issues will arise.
- When connecting your Office 365 account to myMail to migrate emails, please wait 48 hours before contacting the Customer Service Center.
- Not seeing the email icon?
- You will not see the email icon until after you set the forward of your email from MyMail to Office 365. See the steps above.
- Make sure to sign out of the Office 365 portal and that the browser is completely closed/stopped. For individuals using Chrome, make sure any background processes are stopped, too. On Windows, right click on the Chrome icon in the status tray and select Exit. Then try signing in to Office 365 again.
- Try going directly to the mailbox via https://outlook.office365.com/ until the icon does finally show up in the Portal.
What is the web address for accessing the new email service?
Once their Office 365 account is activated, Purdue students can access it by visiting http://portal.office.com.
Will my email address change after the migration?
No, your Purdue email address will remain the same following the migration. Exceptions exist for individuals who are using an alternate email address to send and receive Purdue mail.
How will my email be migrated?
Students will migrate their own email, which will allow them to control when they start the migration process. Within Office 365 email, there is a feature called Connected Accounts that allows individuals to "pull over" all email (click here for instructions). Please note that this step will need to be completed within 7 days from the time you select Office 365 from Purdue's Change Mailbox page.
- NOTE: The actual time for a mailbox to be created can vary. The average time is 15 minutes, but we are asking students to wait 1 - 2 hours before calling in for help.
- NOTE: The connected accounts step for migrating email from myMail to Office 365 can take up to 48 hours. We are asking students to wait 48 hours before calling in for help.
Will student organization email accounts on myMail also be affected?
Yes, owners of student organization email accounts on myMail also will need to follow the steps to activate an Office 365 email account and transfer their myMail data to Office 365.
How do I sign up if I'm a new Purdue student?
Incoming Purdue students will receive orientation materials that include instructions on how to access their Purdue email.
What if I already forward my mail?
Students who forward their Purdue mail to a third-party service will not be affected by this change, although they are still eligible to sign up for Office 365 email, calendar and the Office 365 software suite.
What should I do if I'm a student employee and have both a myMail account for my class work and an Exchange account for my job?
As a student with multiple email accounts, you should still move your myMail messages, calendar events and contacts to Office 365. Your Exchange account for your job will remain unaffected. If you happen to move your Exchange mailbox by accident, please contact the ITaP Customer Service Center as soon as possible so that it is not deleted permanently.
Who do I contact for help?
You can check back to this site for updates, search for knowledge base articles at https://support.purdue.edu/goldanswers or seek assisted support by contacting the ITaP Customer Service Center by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 765-494-4000.