Purdue Office of Professional Development Workshops
The Office of Professional Development hosted in the Purdue Graduate School Administration coordinates hundreds of workshops and webinars each year for postdocs and graduate students. Categories for sessions include Research Tools, Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR), Wellnesss, Communication, and Grantmanship.
Postdoc Academy: Free Online Professional Development Classes for Postdocs
Postdoc Academy offers two free online classes for postdocs that focus on how to be successful as a postdoc and how to prepare for your career. The link above provides information on the available lecture content from EdX as well as the seasonal availability of online discussion groups.
Internal Development Plans (IDPs)
IDPs are online systems or documents that help you strategize your next career step. They contains information on different career paths and provide goal-setting tools.
Check out these online IDPs:
- Science Careers
- Social Sciences and the Humanities
- American Psychological Association
- University of North Carolina Postdoc (PDF)
- University of Minnesota (Posted by U Penn.) Postdoc (PDF)
Toastmasters at Purdue
Toastmasters can help you practice oral presentations. Toastmasters meet weekly to develop speaking and leadership skills. Being a Toastmaster gives you the courage to:
- Speak with confidence
- Improve communication with family and friends
- Give and get constructive feedback
- Thrive in a supportive learning environment