Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that was not answered below, please see our Contact Us page for help.

What if I don’t have a social security number?

All assistantships of Purdue University are required to have a Social Security within 30 days of their hire date to avoid the risk of termination.  Please go to for more information.
Social Security Numbers are required for: enrollment in graduate health insurance, qualify (if applicable) for a tax exemption treaty, and registration for online W-2 access.

What do I put as an expiration date on the Electronic I-9 under “alien authorized to work until”?

If you are an:

  • F-1 visa holder without an I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD or EAC), you will use the program end date on your I-20.
  • F-1 visa holder with an I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD or EAC), you will use the Valid Until date listed.
  • J-1 visa holder, you will use the Form Covers Period to date in box 3 of the DS-2019.

If you do not qualify for any options above and are unsure of what to enter in as your expiration date, please contact 

What if I don’t have a U.S. Bank Account?

Direct Deposit is mandatory at Purdue University and you must comply with this requirement.  For employees who do not have a U.S. bank account, you must obtain one as soon as possible.  If you are unable to obtain a bank account, there is the option of the Purdue Federal Credit Union (PFCU) Pay Card.  For more information on the program, or to apply for a card, please visit any PFCU branch.  Non-compliance with our mandatory direct deposit will result in separation of employment.

What if I can’t make it to one of the GPO dates?

If you absolutely cannot attend GPO, please contact your departmental business office.

Where do I find information about Graduate Health Insurance?

Graduate Health insurance is available to all international and domestic assistantships who are funded at least 20 hours a week.  Please see for more details.
Whether or not you are interested in Graduate Health Insurance, you are required visit the website and follow the instructions to opt in or opt out to avoid paying a $200 late fee and having a hold placed on your academic record.  International graduate assistantships are required to have insurance.

What if haven't gotten an email from

If it is prior to August 10th, please wait until August 10th before emailing the Tax Department.

If it is after August 10th and you have not received an email from to complete your international tax questionnarre, email with your name and PUID.

Ernest C. Young Hall, Room 170 | 155  S. Grant Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2114 | 765-494-2600

© 2017 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by The Purdue University Graduate School

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact The Purdue University Graduate School.