About the Office of Graduate Diversity Initiatives
The Office of Graduate Diversity Initiatives (OGDI) is dedicated to increasing the enrollment and retention of underrepresented graduate students at Purdue.
The OGDI is involved with several programs including:
- Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP)
- Graduate Diversity Visitation Program (GDVP, previously M-HBI)
- Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP)
- Bridge Program
These programs were designed to prepare diverse students with the skills needed to succeed at Purdue.
We work to recruit highly qualified students, and to prepare and retain these students through research opportunities, mentoring, and professional development activities.
We join our campus colleagues as well as external partners in our commitment to enhance diversity and inclusion at Purdue. Our initiatives, along with our partners, include a broad outreach that stems from middle school through the postdoc and beyond.
We strive to establish a welcoming and supportive community. It is important that our students remain at the University and feel supported in their studies.
Students are scheduled to have periodic meetings with the OGDI director and attend various meetings such as “Coffee with the Dean.” Students are encouraged to participate in peer mentoring opportunities and have opportunities to receive and provide tutoring for their peers.
Advanced graduate students have the opportunity to apply for the AGEP Scholar Program and our incoming students can apply to the AGEP Bridge summer transition program. We provide workshops throughout the academic year and students are also encouraged to attend workshops conducted through departments and the Graduate School.
- Birthplace of the National Society of Black Engineers
- Purdue is among only 7% of U.S. schools with an LGBTQ center
- #1 in female graduates in the Engineering Technology field (2006-15, American Society of Engineering Education)
Department of Chemistry
- 2nd in U.S. in number of PhD degrees granted to underrepresented minorities
College of Science
- #1 in U.S. for number of Native American PhD recipients (Ethnography & Evaluation Research, University of Colorado Boulder)
- Top 10 in U.S. for number of African-American PhD recipients (Ethnography & Evaluation Research, University of Colorado Boulder)
- Top 10 in U.S. for number of Hispanic PhD recipients (Ethnography & Evaluation Research, University of Colorado Boulder)
- Top 10 in U.S. in representation & growth in female PhD recipients (Ethnography & Evaluation Research, University of Colorado Boulder)