Application now open!
If you are interested in gaining experience presenting your research, while visiting and contributing to the culture that helped shape your own undergraduate experience, then HBCU Alma Mater Technical Talk Travel Program is perfect for you.
- $2,000 maximum reimbursement for travel, lodging, and meals.
- Opportunity to visit Alma Mater and give a technical talk
- Invited research talk/lecture experience to add to resume or CV
- Professional development experience to enhance job skills
- Undergraduate degree from either a HBCU in the U.S. mainland or Caribbean institution in a U.S. territory.
- At least one year completed at Purdue WL in a graduate program
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Written/email permission from major professor
- Excellent communication skills
Responsibilities (if selected for the program)
- Give a technical talk about your research to undergraduate students at your Alma Mater.
- Add 1-3 slides of “About Purdue” information and your journey at the beginning of your presentation.
- Work with your Alma Mater to organize date, time, room, and publicity to undergrads.
- Obtain and give out Graduate School and departmental promotional materials (if available from your College or Department)
- Arrange your travel and transportation, using the Purdue Travel Agency, and by following Purdue-compliant travel expense rules (Concur). Travel resources are also available here: https://www.purdue.edu/procurement/travel/resources/index.php
- Write a 1-page summary of trip:
- debriefing on technical talk, meetings, technical connections/possible research relationships and any new programs/structures at your Alma Mater that you might be excited to share or grow at Purdue;
- Include a copy of your slides;
- Include a picture of you giving your talk (if possible).
- Complete and submit any travel forms/reimbursements and trip summary to the Purdue University Graduate School (email@example.com).