24 thoughts on “HOMEWORK H30.A”

1. Does pure bending actually occur in this diagram? From first glance, I assume halfway between A and B to B but when I do the shear and moment diagrams, I don't get a zero shear at that location, rather a constant negative shear. And to be pure bending, it's 0 shear with a moment, which no location on the beam would have. Did anyone else get something similar or am I going about this wrong?

2. To find I for a tubular cross section, would it just be the I of a solid circle cross section minus the I of the smaller solid circle cross section?

1. There is a reference chart of second area moments for common shapes in the textbook on page 474. Section 12.B goes into detail about the calculation of second area moments (pages 471 -475).

3. As far as I have understood from the lecture videos and the examples, the moment should reach 0. However, when I am trying to solve the problem, my moment was not reaching 0 on the graph. Is anyone else facing the same issue or is my understand wrong and it is not necessary for the moment to reach 0?

1. Yes it's correct. Think about in the last two HWs when you plotting the shear force diagram. You do consider the reaction force at the boundary and then create function to describe such diagram. Similarly, you need shear force diagram to help you identify the location of pure bending.

1. No the the distributed loads stop doesn't mean the shear force stop. Try to have a look on the shear force diagram, the zero point there tells the location of the pure bending.