29 thoughts on “HOMEWORK H29.A”

1. I don't think the sign of the torque matters when calculating the shear stress because the tau_max is a scalar quantity so you just want the magnitude.

However, when finding the torque that you need to use in that shear stress equation, it's important to recognize that the applied torques are opposite signs when calculating the internal reactions for member 1.

1. For part B, I calculated the shear stress for segment 1 and 2 and found the max between the two. My questions is, does this shear stress act on the whole segment or will the most likely to shear off at a point (like B or A)?

1. I think the assumption is that the connector won't fail, which means that the segments will stay connected at B and A. So, individual segments will shear off.

1. Since the torques at acting at points along the shaft, the shear stress along each segment will be constant, so I think the shaft would be most likely to shear off at any point on the segment.

2. Good question, Jessika. The shear stress is acting on the segment. As far as I understand, that means that the segment could shear off at some point in the middle of that segment instead of points such as A and B.

1. You can consider the external torques to be acting on the connector. Then the torque on the shafts could be interpreted as the reaction torque due to the connectors.

2. You will have to consider the reaction forces on the other shaft and like sum or substract depending on which one to find the net torque on that one.

1. The signs do matter when describing the amount of torque on each segment. However, when the shear stress is calculated, you use the absolute value, so the sign would not matter there.