13 thoughts on “Homework 6.1”

1. Does the 2kN/m mean that it is 2kN at B, or is it 4kN at B since 2kN/m * 2m = 4kN? I would think that it is the latter, but I have seen previous exams that have it as the former.

1. I understand your confusion with this. It would not be 4kN at B because the load isn't always 2kN/m for the whole 2 meters. It is best to treat this mathematically the same as the rectangular distributed loads but just dividing in half. The area under will be the magnitude of the load at B. Hope this helps!

2. I'm a little confused with the moment. I understand that when you calculate the moment at A, the sign of the moment has to change, but does it also change when you use it as your initial condition when calculating the integral?

1. Think about how the beam is bending. When a beam bends upwards the bottom needs to follow a larger radius than the top so the bottom stretches and is in tension and the top is in compression.

3. I'm a little confused with the moment at A. I understand that when you calculate the moment at A, the sign of the moment has to change, but does it also change when you use it as your initial condition when calculating the integral?

4. I'm also confused with the moment at A. I've calculated the moment at A due to the external forces, but what I'm getting doesn't look right. Does the moment at C factor into the moment equation at point A?

1. Yes, the moment at C needs to be accounted for in the sum of moments at A. Make sure that you pick a direction (CCW or CW) as positive for the moment and stick to it.