Fall 2017 Registration has begun!

Fall Registration time tickets for Priority students opened yesterday and everyone else’s time tickets will be opening soon.  Now’s the time to set up an appointment with your Exploratory Studies advisor via their online appointment calendar or by calling (765) 494-0843.  Check out the chart below for when you can begin registering in Scheduling Assistant for the Fall.  The freshman, sophomore, etc. category is based on how many credit hours you have COMPLETED at Purdue, including any AP or dual credit courses.  You can see your registration group on MyPurdue > Academics tab > Academic Profile box.

Priority Groups Monday, March 20, 2017 – noon, Saturday, March 25, 2017
Graduate and Professional Monday, March 20, 2017 – Sunday, August 27, 2017
Seniors Monday, March 27, 2017 – noon, Saturday, April 1, 2017
Juniors Monday, April 3, 2017 – noon, Saturday, April 8, 2017
Sophomores Monday, April 10, 2017 – noon, Saturday, April 15, 2017
Current Freshmen Monday, April 17, 2017 – noon, Saturday, April 22, 2017

Applying for Summer 2017 Courses at Purdue Northwest

These are step-by-step instructions for how to apply for Purdue Northwest to then register for summer course.  It’s best to have this done before Purdue Northwest representatives come to register students on March 9th from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm in the East Foyer of Stewart Center (STEW):

Any current Purdue University West Lafayette student wishing to enroll in Summer 2017 courses offered at Purdue University Northwest, Hammond and/or Westville locations, must complete a “Regional Campus Transfer Summer Only” application. This applies to everyone, even those who may have attended a PNW campus in the past.  The application is available via the following Web site: www.pnw.edu .

  1. Click on “Apply Now” at the top of the screen
  2. Click on “Undergraduate Application”
  3. Click on “Apply Now”
  4. Create a Log In name and a PIN
  5. Scroll down the screen to find the “Regional Campus Transfer Summer Only” application
  6. Complete the application and submit

If you have questions or need assistance with the application process, contact Office of Admissions staff: Hammond campus at (219) 989-2213 or Westville campus at (219) 785-5532.

Summer course schedules for the Hammond, IN and Westville, IN campus classes are available at the Purdue Northwest Schedule of Classes page.




Regional Campus Summer 2017 Registration Visits (March 9)

From Janet Mauck, Office of the Registrar: 

Representatives from Purdue Northwest will be visiting the West Lafayette campus on Thursday, March 9th to register students for Summer 2017 classes.

The PNW representatives will be available from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm in the East Foyer in Stewart Center.  During this event, West Lafayette students can register for summer classes at Purdue Northwest.

IUPUI will not be participating this year, but will most likely be sending an e-mail to students about summer registration.  If you have questions about IUPUI summer course registration, please contact Scott McIntyre at samcinty@iupui.edu.

Certifying Enrollment at Purdue

Need to prove you’re a student to Health Insurers, Auto Insurers and others?  A service is being offered to students via myPurdue.  You will be able to print enrollment verification for health insurers and other organizations by accessing the Enrollment Certification area under the academic tab.  Select the Enrollment Certification area by clicking on National Student Clearinghouse.

Please note:  If you need your GPA information included on the enrollment certification, you still must visit the Office of the Registrar (Hovde Hall, room 45) so a signature can be obtained.

Regional Campuses visit to Register WL Students for Summer Courses

A Reminder from the Office of the Registrar:

Admission representatives from the Purdue Calumet and North Central campuses will be available to register Purdue – West Lafayette students for summer classes on March 7th from 10:30 am – 5:00 pm in the East Foyer of Stewart Center (STEW).

Student who cannot attend the March 7th visit (or whose regional campuses are not visiting) can apply for summer at their respective regional campuses through these sites:


Summer Course Tutorial I: Purdue WL courses

Fall and spring courses have two options for duration: 16 weeks (full semester) or 8 weeks (half semester).  In comparison, summer courses have a LOT more variation – everything from 4 – 12 week options.  Some key points about Purdue summer courses:

  • No matter the length, you’ll earn the same number of credit hours and learn the same material as you would during a fall or spring semester.
  • The cost is the same per credit hour as the fall or spring, except that flat fee pricing begins at 6 credit hours.  To estimate your summer course costs, check out the Office of the Bursar’s tuition and fee calculator.
  • Summer grades earned at Purdue (or Purdue regional campuses) can replace fall and spring grades and vice versa, but the course abbreviation and numbering must be identical (with a few exceptions – ask your advisor).
  • There are limits to how many credits you can take:
    • Students are limited to 4 credits hours within one 4-week session.
    • 4-week module courses cannot overlap with 6-, 8-, or 12-week session courses.
    • Students are limited to 10 hours total among all of the courses taken.

Learning happens faster in summer courses and requires strong study skills and time management. For example, if the 16-week fall version of the course meets 3 hours a week and has tests every month, the 8-week summer version of that course would meet 6 hours a week and have a test every two weeks, and a 4-week summer version would meet 12 hours a week and have a test every week.  Getting behind is NOT an option!

Here are some common durations you might find in Purdue summer courses:

Summer School sessions Summer School Graphic 2016 PDF

The important thing is to be aware of the dates of the section of the course you are choosing.  Sections within the same course can have different lengths.  For example, ECON 251 has three 4-week sections, each with different dates (Modules 1, 2, and 3).  The same courses can also be taught using different instructional types. You can use the Advanced Search button under Look Up Classes in MyPurdue to narrow down your course options by length, instructional type, and days or times.

Tomorrow, we’ll discuss all the varieties of online summer courses at Purdue!