STAR (Summer Transition, Advising, and Registration) is Purdue's required orientation program for new, domestic, first-year, and transfer students. During STAR you spend a full day (7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.) attending orientation sessions, meeting your academic advisor, registering for fall semester courses, and getting ready to begin your academic career at Purdue in August.
For more information and to register for STAR, please visit the main STAR website.
Once you have registered for your STAR date, please complete the online mathematics placement called ALEKS and the Pre-Registration Survey. Your academic advisor cannot accurately advise you about fall semester course choices without the information from these two items. Please have these completed at least 2 days before your STAR Date to help your advisor prepare for your registration appointment.
VSTAR 2014 for International Students and STAR Exceptions
International students and students receiving exceptions are not required to attend STAR. The following information will help you understand the Academic Advising and Registration Process at Purdue.
Virtual Summer Transition, Advising and Registration (VSTAR) is Purdue's online course for new undergraduate students who are not able to attend STAR. The course will help students prepare for their fall semester registration meeting in June and July and consequent transition to Purdue in August.
In preparation of your meeting with your academic advisor please complete VSTAR, which includes the following preparation tasks. Information about accessing VSTAR will be sent to you in early May 2015:
- Watch the Exploratory Studies VSTAR and Registration Videos (link to be posted May 2015)
- Complete the Exploratory Studies Pre-Registration Survey
- (International Students only) Complete the Supplemental Information Form for International Students
- Complete the online ALEKS Mathematics Placement test. Reserve 2 hours hours to complete this important test.
- An Exploratory Studies advisor will contact you via e-mail to set up a registration appointment. The registration appointment would then take place on the phone, through Skype, or through an instant messaging system. The advisor will help you select appropriate fall semester courses based on the above survey and ALEKS placement results.
- After your registration appointment you will register for courses in myPurdue