TO: Vice Presidents, Vice Provosts, Chancellors, Deans, Directors and Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments and Offices
FROM: Brent Drake, Chief Data Officer
DATE: April 7, 2014
Subject: Data Dictionary available for consistent reporting
To bring consistency to Purdue's data collection efforts, the Office of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Effectiveness has led a system-wide effort to create an authoritative list of official data definitions to be used by faculty and staff on campus.
The result is the Purdue Data Dictionary, which can be found at http://www.purdue.edu/oir/DataDictionary.html.
The Data Dictionary was developed over the past two months with input from many individuals across campus, including representatives from faculty, the regional campuses, Human Resources, University Development, the Office of Budget and Fiscal Planning, the Registrar's Office, the Office of Enrollment Management, the Office of Institutional research, and University data stewards.
A University committee will review the definitions quarterly to ensure that the definitions remain current. Anyone with comments or suggested changes can submit those to a committee member or directly to Drake.
Current committee members are:
- Thomas Berndt, professor, senior associate dean for academic affairs and administration, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Joe Braun, human resources information analyst, Human Resources
- Maggie Dalrymple, associate director, Office of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Effectiveness
- Brent Drake, Chief Data Officer, Office of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Effectiveness
- Maria Drake, data manager, College of Technology
- Cheryl Gray, senior data steward, IT Security and Policy
- John Higgins, special projects manager, Office of Budget and Fiscal Planning
- Gillian Leonard, director of Institutional Research and Assessment, Purdue Calumet
- Steve Lipps, assistant registrar for information services, Office of the Registrar
- Kevin Maurer, director of strategic initiatives and assessment, Housing and Food Services
- Bob Meeks, director of University Development operations, University Development
- Monal Patel, interim director, Enrollment Management Analysis and Reporting
- Rebekkah Porter, senior assistant director, Office of Admissions
- David Robledo, director of data analytics and information, College of Engineering
- Stephanie Willis, assistant director, information support services, Sponsored Programs
- Aaron Waltz, director, Business Intelligence Competency Center
- Joe Ward, institutional research specialist, Purdue North Central
- Joel Wenger, associate director of information management, research, and quality assurance, Financial Aid
- Bob Wilkinson, associate vice chancellor for institutional research and planning, Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne