Household Hazardous and Electronic Wastes

Have you ever wondered how to properly dispose of unwanted chemicals or electronic devices from your home? Unfortunately, REM cannot accept household wastes but there are environmentally friendly options available to the public which are discussed below.

Household Hazardous Waste

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines household hazardous waste (HHW) as any unwanted household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients. Examples of common HHW include paints, cleaners, oils, fuels, batteries, fluorescent or HID light bulbs, and pesticides. Disposal methods such as pouring HHW down the drain, on the ground, or into storm sewers are not acceptable practices.

HHW should be taken to the Tippecanoe County Solid Waste Management District (located in Lafayette on the North 9th Street) where it will be processed for proper hazardous waste disposal. The majority of HHW is accepted free of charge. See the following flier for details:

Electronic Waste

Electronic waste (e-waste) is not considered HHW by the EPA. However, because most e-waste contains lead and other hazardous constituents, e-waste cannot be disposed of in municipal solid waste landfills and should not be thrown in the trash.

E-waste should be taken to Oscar Winski (also located in Lafayette on North 9th Street) where it will be processed for proper recycling. The majority of e-waste devices are accepted free of charge.