Temperature and discharge rates, catastrophic failure
Vehicle Communication, Energy Internet, IT integration
Light weight materials; materials durability
Advanced Engine Aftertreatment for Ultra-low NOx and PM Emissions
- Regeneration control algorithms for diesel particulate filters using high-bandwidth pressure sensing.
- Crack detection in diesel particulate filters using spectral signal processing techniques.
- Chemical and transport models for NOx traps including the investigation of detailed kinetic and chemical transformation mechanisms.
- Experimental determination of kinetic parameters for processes occurring during NOx trapping.
- Determination of benchmark parameter models of aftertreatment devices.
Modeling and Control of Advanced Internal Combustion Engines
- Closed-loop control and modeling (both multi-dimensional CFD and control-oriented) of advanced combustion for high efficiency and ultra-low NOx/PM emissions:
- Premixed Charge Compression Ignition (PCCI).
- Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI).
- Camless valve actuation.
- Fuel-flexible combustion for clean and efficient use of:
- Conventional fuels–gasoline, diesel.
- Alternative fuels–biodiesel, ethanol, coal-to-liquid fuels, gas-to-liquid fuels, natural gas, hydrogen.
- Comprehensive multidimensional CFD modeling of sprays and combustion in engines and aftertreatment systems:
- Clean diesel engines.
- Alternative engine/aftertreatment concepts.
- Advanced spray strategies.
Hydraulic Hybridization of Vehicle Powertrains
- Modeling and simulating of power trains using PSDD, an in house MATLAB/Simulink Library.
- Performance prediction, including fuel consumption.
- New circuit solutions for continuously variable transmissions and hydraulic hybrids.
- Advanced power train controls.
- Hardware-in-the-loop testing of powertrains.
- Energy recovery.
Electric Hybridization of Vehicle Powertrains
- Multi-objective design of electric machinery.
- Modeling and analysis of power electronic systems.
- Distributed heterogeneous computing.
- Minimization of acoustic noise and vibration from electric machinery.
- Prognostics and health management of electric drives.
- Electronically controlled continuously variable transmission (CVT) design.
- Powertrain control strategies for economy, emissions, and performance.
- Flywheel design and energy storage.
- Modeling for and control of power flow in hybrid systems and hybrid electric vehicles.
Powertrain Prognostics And Diagnostics
- Modeling and prediction for reliability in powertrain drivelines, transmissions, and wheel ends:
- Rotordynamic modeling of drivelines and wheels for hybrid vehicle development and torsional analysis.
- Fault diagnostics in powertrains to support durability testing and fault-tolerant control strategies.
- Prognosis of powertrain performance to enable durability predictions and life-extending control.
- Development of On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) algorithms to detect and isolate emissions faults.
- Crack detection in diesel particulate filters.
Noise Control for Vehicle Powertrains
- Acoustic modeling and noise control for vehicle powertrains.
Modeling of sound sources and sound transmission.
- Experimental techniques for power train noise evaluation and model development.
- Pass-by noise diagnostics and visualization.
- Design of noise control materials, acoustic barriers and enclosures.
- Sound quality and environmental noise impact modeling.
- Evaluation of friction material for braking performance and reduction of friction-induced vibrations/noise in braking systems.
Technical ContactDr. Gregory Shaver
School of Mechanical Engineering
Ray W. Herrick Laboratories
140 S. Martin Jischke Dr.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2031
MAHA Fluid Power Research Center and Purdue Center for Systems Integrity
1500 Kepner Drive
Lafayette, IN 47905
Forney Hall of Chemical Engineering
480 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2100
Energy Conversion Research and Energy Systems Simulation Laboratories
Electrical Engineering Building
465 Northwestern Avenue
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2035
Mechanical Engineering Tribology Laboratory
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Maurice J. Zucrow Laboratories
500 Allison Road
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2014
Phone: (765) 494-1501
About the Energy Center
The Center’s mission is to grow the Purdue energy research and education enterprise. We engage researchers and students in a community that delivers new discoveries and develops disruptive technologies with national and global impact.
- Become a Member
- State Utility Forecasting Group (SUFG)
- Opportunities at National Labs
- Brochures, Videos and Newsletters
Director, Energy Center,
Global Sustainability Institute
Managing Director, Energy Center,
Global Sustainability Institute
- Phone: 765-496-7452
- Phone: 765-494-1610
Mann Hall, Rm 105
203 South Martin Jischke Dr.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1971
- Phone: 765.494.1610
- Fax: 765.496.9322