J-1 Visa Program

What is a J-1 Visa?

J-1 Visa: Exchange visitor programA J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange and international collaborative research.

The J-1 Program at Purdue

The J-1 program at Purdue is frequently used to provide opportunities for individuals to pursue scholarly, academic and research pursuits at Purdue as well as for students participating in exchange programs.

In conjunction with the Purdue Foundry

Purdue Foundry logoIn conjunction with the Purdue Foundry, the Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship utilizes the J-1 visa program to assist individuals with obtaining a J-1 in order to research the entrepreneurial processes of ideation, business model generation, business plan creation, customer discovery and ultimately creating and launching a new venture.

Application Process

Individuals wishing to pursue J-1 visa status for entrepreneurial activities will work jointly with the Purdue Foundry and the Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship to request the documents required for the visa application from the International Students and Scholars office.

Program Requirements

Applicants will need to demonstrate their plans to pursue entrepreneurial activities related to the creation of new ventures. Applicants will be expected to demonstrate:

A commitment to participate in Purdue Foundry programs such as Firestarter (ideation), Business Model Creation, Commercialization Planning, and Collaboration with Entrepreneurs-in-Residence (EIR).

A commitment to participate in networking and entrepreneurial activities including Foundry Grounds, Spirited Entrepreneur, Foundry X.

A commitment to participate in educational seminars and activities of the Purdue Foundry.

Sufficient funding to support living and other expenses while at Purdue.

A commitment to and sufficient funding for the establishment of a business location at Purdue at a Purdue Foundry supported location like the Purdue Research Park, The Railyard, and The Anvil.

Applicants must have an undergraduate degree.

Continuation within the Program

While the J-1 program allows up to five (5) years total in the United States, participants in the Purdue Foundry program will be supported for the following:

  • An initial support for a two (2) year period that may be extended contingent upon compliance with the commitments above.
  • Annual extensions of up to a total of two (2) extension years.
  • A final one (1) year extension may be available on an exception basis only.

To apply for the program or find out more information, please contact j1visa@purdue.edu.