to Definitions and Notes links
Download a PDF
of this page (Abobe
Acrobat Reader Required).
of Institutional Research
- Percentage totals in some tables will not round to 100
due to rounding. For the same reason, total values in some
cases may not precisely match the sums of the printed values.
- The most current data are reported to the extent possible.
Because of timing differences in the availability of data,
the reported times vary. For example, the budget and expenditure
information reported are based on fiscal year data that
for 1999-2000 is July 1, 1999, through July 30, 2000. The
academic year consists of the summer, fall, and spring terms,
e.g., the 2000-01 academic year includes the summer 2000
session, the fall 2000 semester, and the spring 2001 semester.
- The fall semester student and teaching activity information
used for official reporting purposes is based on a snapshot
of the data on a specific day, which is normally at the
beginning of the second week of classes. Similarly, a snapshot
file is used to prepare the faculty and staff information
using an end-of-September file.
- Student Credit Hours in Fast Facts are reported based
on the Spring, Fall, and Winter Office of the Registrar
official enrollment reports.
- Extramural awards include all contracts and grants that
were processed through Sponsored Program Services. Research
and Sponsored Program Expenditures include expenditures
incurred on sponsored program projects, state and federally
appropriated research projects, and gifted research projects.
- Financial Aid information does not include athletic aid
or graduate fellowships, assistantships, or counselorships.
- Source of data for Faculty and Staff Section is the October
- Land area acreage for Purdue Research Park changed from
the previous year due to sale of 50 acres.
- Number of Buildings at regional campuses changed from
the previous year due to error in reporting in previous
- Number of students in fraternities, sororities, and cooperative
housing is student self-reported information based on local
address from the Registrar's files. Number of students in
cooperative housing is information acquired by the Dean
of Students office from each chapter/house president.
- The Source of Data for Faculty and Staff Full-Time Equivalency
by Source of Funding includes a modified definition of the
General Funds and Auxiliary and Other
Funds categories for 2001. The new definition reports
the 115 Fund (Income Producing OIELL Activity) under
Auxiliary and Other Funds. The 115 fund was
reported prior to 2001 under General Funds.
The 1996 data in this analysis were generated using the
new definition for comparison purposes.
- In the Peer University Comparison Section, Cornell University
includes only the Cornell Statutory programs. Cornell Endowed
programs have been excluded.
- Through personal communication with Texas A&M, it
was determined that the salary and compensation data for
assistant professors appearing in the March/April 2001 Academe
was incorrect. The peer salary appearing in the Data Digest
reflects the correct salary and compensation information.