to Additional Facts and Figures links
Download a PDF
of this page (Abobe
Acrobat Reader Required).
The Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service is the
community connection in every Indiana county to the expertise
and resources of Purdue University and the nationwide Land
Grant University system. Purdue Extension is the gateway to
lifelong learning in many Indiana communities.
Leadership for the Extension Service is provided through the
Director of Extension, who also serves as Associate Dean of
Agriculture. Over 100 on-campus Extension Specialists have
appointments in departments in the schools of Agriculture,
Consumer and Family Sciences, and Veterinary Medicine. With
the exception of the six regional specialists located at the
Southwest Purdue Agriculture Program (Vincennes) and the Fort
Wayne and North Central campuses, all specialists are located
on the West Lafayette campus.
Some 275 Extension Educators are located in the 92 counties
of Indiana. These professionals provide the linkage between
the citizens of Indiana and the scientists located on the
The Educators listen to what local citizens are saying and
provide feedback to the University for determining research
and education needs. The Educators provide programs based
on identified local needs.
Purdue Extension has been a part of the University since
the Indiana General Assembly passed the Farmers Institute
Act on March 9, 1889. This Act provided funds for the first
Extension work to be organized by Purdue University. The Extension
Service was recognized nationally in 1914 by the Smith-Lever
Act. Funding for the Extension Service programs is provided
by federal, state, and county governments, and from grants,
contracts, and fees for specialized programs.
Major Program Areas:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Consumer and Family Sciences
- 4-H and Youth Development
- Leadership and Community Development