Return to Additional Facts and Figures links
Download a PDF of this page (Adobe Acrobat Reader Required).
University Residences is the largest housing operation in the country with no live-in requirement for students at any point in their education. Approximately 90% of beginning students voluntarily choose to live in University Residences, and about 30% of the total student body lives in the 15 housing units.
University Residences collaborated with various academic areas in offering 23 learning communities for approximately 900 students.
Over 9,400 residential life programs were offered in University Residences, with more than 127,000 attendees.
- The Purdue Memorial Union completed a $7 million comprehensive renovation to its retail dining services area on the ground floor of the Union. These venues received the following awards this past year:
- Outstanding Designs – Nov. 2008 American School & University Publication
- Award of Excellence – For Demonstrated Excellence in Merit Shop construction 2008 – Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Indiana Chapter
- Food Management Magazine – 2008 Best Concepts & Best Renovation
- Loyal E. Horton Award – July 2008 Monumental Idea Retail Sales Multiple Concepts / Outlets
- On Campus Hospitality Magazine July 2008 – Recognition
- School Planning & Management Magazine June 2008 Education Design Showcase Annual Awards Outstanding Design and Architecture in Education
- Purdue Memorial Union's retail dining venues posted 1,027,338 transactions. Eight satellite dining venues operated across campus by the Union, and those venues realized 564,351 transactions.
- The Purdue Memorial Union Visitor Information Center kiosk provided assistance to over 12,000 visitors.
- The Union Club Hotel, with 192 rooms, is the largest hotel in the greater Lafayette area. Last year, 48,620 room nights were occupied; in addition, the Union Club completed a soft renovation of the south wing rooms, replacing bedding, drapes, lamps, televisions and artwork in each room.
- Housing and Food Services Web sites had over one million visits to the welcome pages of the various operational areas.
- In fall 2007, the National Association of College Auxiliary Services presented its Golden Award to Housing and Food Services in recognition of its diversity initiatives. Innovative diversity programming was offered over 90 times, including programs for other University departments.
- Food Stores processed 364,322 pounds of proteins, including beef, cheese and deli meats in 2007-08. Food Stores supports academic areas by storing food items that are used in research studies, and is part of the Libraries’ emergency plan since books damaged by water during a fire can be recovered when flash-frozen.
- The Union Rack and Roll had over 99,000 games of bowling and over 8,600 hours of billiards played.
- Hall of Music Productions produces over 1,100 events annually for the University, an average of 3 events per day for every day in the year. Its top five clients are Intercollegiate Athletics, Purdue Convocations, Conference Division, Registrar's Office and University Development.
- In collaboration with Film and Video Studies in the College of Liberal Arts, Hall of Music Productions teaches three courses in video production and oversees an internship program.
- In the past academic year, Purdue Student Union Board sponsored 66 events with over 23,000 in attendance.
- Purdue Memorial Union and Stewart Center hosted 18,105 events consisting of student organization meetings, conferences, community events, academic and administrative sessions, and wedding receptions. The Catering & Events Department catered 5,147 events with 1,241 of those across the Purdue campus. The department employs over 150 students and acts as an advanced service practicum for HTM students.
- HFS Marketing and Communications received a Silver Addy Award from the North Central Ad Federation for the production of a retirement piece for the University Residences director of dining. In addition, they were recognized with a Student Gold and Student Judges Choice award. They received a Silver Addy at the Regional competition.
Source: Housing and Food Services Marketing and Communications