to Additional Facts and Figures links
Download a PDF
of this page (Adobe
Acrobat Reader Required).
The Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service is the community
connection in every Indiana county to the expertise and resources
of Purdue University and the nationwide Land Grant University system.
Purdue Extension is the gateway to lifelong learning in many Indiana
Leadership for the Extension Service is provided through the Director
of Extension who also serves as Associate Dean of Agriculture. Over
100 on-campus Extension Specialists have appointments in departments
in the schools of Agriculture, Consumer and Family Sciences, and
Veterinary Medicine. With the exception of the five Regional Specialists
located at the Southwest Purdue Agriculture Program (Vincennes)
and the North Central campus, all Specialists are located on the
West Lafayette campus.
Some 275 Extension Educators are located in the 92 counties of
Indiana. These professionals provide the linkage between the citizens
of Indiana and the scientists located on the Purdue campuses.
The Educators listen to what local citizens are saying and provide
feedback to the University for determining research and education
needs. The Educators provide programs based on identified local
Purdue Extension has been a part of the University since the Indiana
General Assembly passed the Farmers’ Institute Act on March
9, 1889. This Act provided funds for the first Extension work to
be organized by Purdue University. The Extension Service was recognized
nationally in 1914 by the Smith-Lever Act. Funding for the Extension
Service programs is provided by federal, state, and county governments,
and from grants, contracts, and fees for specialized programs.
Major Program Areas:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Consumer and Family Sciences
- 4-H and Youth Development
- Leadership and Community Development