College of Veterinary Medicine
History and Accreditation
The history of the College of Veterinary Medicine reaches back into the nineteenth century. In 1877, the Department of Veterinary Science was established within the Agricultural Experiment Station to pursue new knowledge and understanding of animal diseases and of diseases transmissible from animals to man. Veterinary services were provided for the livestock owned by Purdue University, and diagnostic services were made available to practicing veterinarians and the general public.
In 1945, the Indiana General Assembly officially created the Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory on the West Lafayette campus. A branch laboratory located at the Southern Indiana-Purdue Agricultural Center in Dubois County initiated diagnostic services in 1970.
An act passed by the Indiana General Assembly in 1957 provided an appropriation to Purdue University for constructing a School of Veterinary Medicine. Later that year, the Board of Trustees of the University authorized the establishment of a School of Veterinary Science and Medicine as an autonomous division of the University. The School of Veterinary Science and Medicine graduated its first class in 1963. In 1974, the trustees authorized the name to be changed to the School of Veterinary Medicine, and effective January 1, 2012, the name was changed to College of Veterinary Medicine.
The Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine is fully accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association’s Council on Education and holds membership in the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges.