Pre-Doctoral Internship Training Application Information
Accredited by the American Psychological Association
Please direct inquires about our accreditation status to:
Committee on Accreditation
c/o Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
750 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002-4242
Purdue University CAPS is a member of APPIC, and we participate in the APPIC national computer matching program conducted by National Matching Services, Inc. (NMS). All internship applicants must register with NMS to be eligible for placement with our APA-Accredited internship program.
Applicants can contact NMS for online registration instructions at: natmatch.com/psychint
This internship site abides by the APPIC policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant prior to Match Day.
Intern Eligibility and Benefits
Minimal eligibility and qualifications
Candidates for internship must have completed all formal requirements towards candidacy in a Ph.D. or Psy.D. in counseling or clinical psychology, including:
- All course work necessary for the title of doctoral candidate including any comprehensive exams
- Acceptance of dissertation proposal by dissertation committee no later than the APPIC ranking date
- Clinical experience with late adolescence/college student population preferred
- A minimum of 500 cumulative supervised hours in direct clinical service as defined by APPIC criteria
- At least 400 direct therapy hours; with no less than 300 accrued during your doctoral program
- Hours must be accumulated no later than the APPIC ranking date
Stipends and benefits
The stipend as of the 2014-2015 Internship is $25,132 with full and generous university health benefits. Expenses for some conference attendance may also be available.
The application process will occur on-line. Refer to the APPIC website for more details and complete application instructions. All application materials listed below will be uploaded via the applicant portal on the APPIC website. We will not accept any paper materials. Interested candidates should submit:
- Completed AAPI.
- Cover letter.
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Official graduate transcript(s).
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least two from clinical supervisors who will speak directly about the quality of your clinical work and your engagement in clinical supervision.
The completed AAPI forms are both necessary and sufficient for your application. In other words, no additional materials such as de-identified assessment reports or case conceptualizations are necessary, nor will they be considered with your application.
Application materials should be uploaded no later than November 2, 2015. See Specific Instructions Below.
Application Instructions Specific to CAPS
Specific instructions for applying
We desire to know as much individualized information as possible about candidates so that the best match can be made. The essays on the AAPI assist us in getting to better know you during our review of your application. In order to further assist you in making a successful application, we would like you to strongly consider the statements below when completing the AAPI as these issues are of utmost importance to us.
You may want to add additional information to your essays or use your cover letter to address these issues:
We are highly committed to making sure that we achieve the best fit between the training we offer and intern's desires for training. With this in mind, we are curious to find out in what ways the Purdue CAPS internship will specifically help you meet your goals for training next year.
Counseling and Psychological Services requests all of the aforementioned information for the purpose of processing your application for internship. This information is kept confidential and is not provided to anyone without your prior written consent. Responses to all items are required to have your application considered complete. Failure to complete any items will mean your application is not complete and it will not be considered by the CAPS Intern Selection Team.
Background Check: All employees of Purdue University are required to successfully pass the University background check as a condition of employment.
Liability Insurance: Interns are required to make arrangements for professional liability insurance prior to the beginning of internship. One option for low cost student liability insurance coverage is available through APA. For more information about acquiring liability insurance through APA refer to: APA Insurance Trust
Intern Selection Process
Completed applications arriving before our deadline are carefully reviewed for degree of fit with our internship program. Applicants being given serious consideration are contacted in mid-December to schedule an early January telephone interview.
Intern selection is based on a combination of the following factors:
- Degree of fit between applicant's stated goals for training with the CAPS' training mission/goals/philosophy.
- Fulfillment of minimum eligibility and qualifications for candidates.
- Degree of support for candidate qualifications and fit with internship training program from recommendation letters.
- Demonstrated clinical acumen based on the telephone interview.
- Previous university or college center experience.
- Knowledge base of the research and theoretical underpinnings of counseling center practices.
- Demonstrated sensitivity during interview to the unique needs of multicultural populations.
We often are asked if candidates can visit CAPS in person. If we schedule and conduct an interview with you, you may following an interview, contact CAPS to arrange a visit if you so desire. Visits do not influence our decision making process though do give you an opportunity to meet staff and see our locations.
Direct all application materials and questions to:
Colleen Maguire Jackson, Ph.D., HSPP
Assistant Director and Training Coordinator
Counseling and Psychological Services
703 Third Street, Rm 1120
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2081
(765) 494-6995 Fax: (765) 496-3004
Email the Training Coordinator
Purdue's internship APPIC match number is
Please include this number on your computer match form.