Summer Undergrad Research Award
Funding Opportunity Number
Funding Opportunity Title
SUMMER UNDERGRAD RESEARCH AWARD
|Announcement||January 13, 2023|
|Due||March 1, 2023|
John Fry (email@example.com)
Funding Opportunity Description
Generous donations from the Carroll County Cancer Association to the Purdue University Institute for Cancer Research provide support for Purdue undergraduate students who wish to undertake a cancer research project during the summer. The project must be conducted in the laboratory of a Cancer Institute Faculty Member and must have direct relevance to cancer.
The award is for $3,500 and must be matched by $1,500 in funds from the faculty sponsor for a total amount of $5,000. This award is to be paid to the student as a stipend over the 8-week summer period. The faculty sponsor will determine the actual start date and project duration.
To apply, please submit your electronic application by 5 pm on the cycle due date. No exceptions. The electronic submission system will not allow applications beyond the deadline. Once here, you can enter your Purdue username and password.
Only undergraduate students at Purdue University in good standing (minimum GPA = 3.4) may apply. Student must name a faculty sponsor. However, only proposals not funded through departments, schools or other summer undergraduate research programs will be eligible for funding through the center. Only one application per faculty member is allowed.
A $1,500 match from the faculty sponsor is required.
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
There will be six awards for this cycle.
$5,000 total. $3,500 from PCCR with $1,500 match from faculty sponsor.
Award Project Period
2022 summer period in June and July. All funds must be expended by July 31, 2023.
This award is only for students performing a cancer research project during the summer.
Those receiving awards will be asked to present the results of their project at the Carroll County Cancer Association Annual Meeting in the Fall (date TBD). In addition, recipients will be expected to submit a summary of their research project at the end of August. A template of the report will be sent to you and your advisor by August 1, 2023.
Required publication acknowledgement
“The authors gratefully acknowledge the Summer Undergrad Research Award and support from the Purdue University Institute for Cancer Research, P30CA023168.” The awardee is required to include the cancer institute logo on their presentations and may contact the administrative contact listed above.
The applicant will provide their ORCID for reporting purposes during the electronic application process. For assistance, use the administrative contact listed above.
No Cost Extension (NCE)
No cost extensions are not allowed. All funds must be expended by July 31, 2023.
Please note the award is contingent upon obtaining all of the necessary regulatory approvals (e.g., IRB, IACUC, PACUC) or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) pertaining to the work that has pending approvals.
Responding to periodic requests of career impact is required. Triage of future applications may occur if reporting requests are ignored.
- Application Length: The application should be single-spaced and a maximum of three pages in length (Arial, 11pt) with no less than 0.5-inch margins.
- Required Application Structure (1-4 comprise the Research Project Plan and should be a maximum of three typed pages (Arial 11-point font and ½-inch margins).
- Title of project
- Specific aim of the project
- Background and significance (This section should emphasize cancer relevance as well as provide clear precedent motivating proposed project)
- Approach/plan of research (This will be evaluated based on hypotheses to be tested as well as proposed experimental approach. Remember to state the outcomes and/or path to publication)
- Cited literature (not included in page limit)
- Personal statement on how this award would contribute toward your cancer research career (not included in page limit)
- For the electronic submission, the items to upload should include (all combined into 1 file):
- Three-page research project plan and cited literature
- Letter of support from faculty sponsor. Once you submit your electronic application, you advisor will receive an automated email asking for this letter and requirements from Qualifications/Restrictions section above.
- Cancer-relevance of the project
- Scientific method
- Impact the award will have on the development of the trainee. This can include the productivity/accomplishments of the trainee.
- Selection committee could consist of senior/program leaders, PCCR members or other experts.
Announcement History And Updates
|Funding Opportunity Number||Summary of Change|
|PCCR-SURA-FY2023-01||Initiation of Announcement|
- Internal Funding
- Shared Resource Projects
- Summer Undergrad Research Award
- SIRG Grad Research Assistantship
- Robbers New Investigator Award
- Post Doc Travel Award
- DDMS Program Special Projects
- Pilot Grant Awards
- Bioinformatics Research Assistant Award
- Yeshwant A. Gore Graduate Assistantship
- F31 Scholarships
- Graduate Student Training and Travel Scholarships
- Tyler Trent Osteosarcoma Pilot Grant Awards