Summer Undergrad Research Award
Funding Opportunity Number
Funding Opportunity Title
SUMMER UNDERGRAD RESEARCH AWARD
|Announcement||January 12, 2020|
|Due||March 9, 2020|
John Fry (email@example.com)
Funding Opportunity Description
Generous donations from the Carroll County Cancer Association to the Purdue University Center for Cancer Research (PCCR) provide support for Purdue undergraduate students who wish to undertake a cancer research project during the summer. The project must be conducted in the laboratory of a PCCR Faculty Member and must have direct relevance to cancer.
The award is for $3,000 and must be matched by $1,000 in funds from the faculty sponsor for a total amount of $4,000. This award is to be paid to the student as a stipend over the 8-week summer period. The faculty sponsor will determine the actual start date and project duration.
To apply, please submit your electronic application by 5 pm on the cycle due date. No exceptions. The electronic submission system will not allow applications beyond the deadline. Once here, you can enter your Purdue credentials. If somehow the password entry does not allow access, please click on "more choices." Click "use a different account" and enter "onepurdue\" in front of the user name and re-type your password. If there are further login problems, please email the administrative contact listed above.
Only undergraduate students at Purdue University in good standing (minimum GPA = 3.4) may apply. Student must name a faculty sponsor. However, only proposals not funded through departments, schools or other summer undergraduate research programs will be eligible for funding through the center (Faculty sponsors must indicate their undergraduate research support funds received for the current and past year (2019 and 2020) for their laboratory on the cover page).
A $1,000 match from the faculty sponsor is required.
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
There will be six awards for this cycle.
$4,000 total. $3,000 from PCCR with $1,000 match from faculty sponsor.
Award Project Period
2020 summer period in June and July. All funds must be expended by July 31, 2020.
This award is only for students performing a cancer research project during the summer.
Those receiving awards will be asked to present the results of their project at the Carroll County Cancer Association Annual Meeting in the Fall (date TBD). In addition, recipients will be expected to submit a summary of their research project at the end of August. A template of the report will be sent to you and your advisor by August 1, 2020.
Required publication acknowledgement
“The authors gratefully acknowledge the Summer Undergrad Research Award and support from the Purdue University Center for Cancer Research, P30CA023168.” The awardee is required to include the PCCR logo on their presentations and may contact the administrative contact listed above.
The applicant will provide their ORCID and join the PCCR LinkedIn group page to stay connected for reporting purposes during the electronic application process. For assistance, use the administrative contact listed above.
No Cost Extension (NCE)
No cost extensions are not allowed. All funds must be expended by July 31, 2020.
Please note the award is contingent upon obtaining all of the necessary regulatory approvals (e.g., IRB, IACUC, PACUC) or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) pertaining to the work that has pending approvals.
Responding to periodic requests of career impact is required. Triage of future applications may occur if reporting requests are ignored.
- Application Length: The application should be single-spaced and a maximum of three pages in length (Arial, 11pt) with no less than 0.5-inch margins.
- Required Application Structure (2-5 comprise the Research Project Plan and should be a maximum of three typed pages (Arial 11-point font and ½-inch margins).
- Mandatory information form (to be used as cover page, see appendix) completed and signed by both applicant and faculty sponsor (this does not count toward the three-page limit.)
- Title of project
- Specific aim of the project
- Background and significance (This section should emphasize cancer relevance as well as provide clear precedent motivating proposed project)
- Approach/plan of research (This will be evaluated based on hypotheses to be tested as well as proposed experimental approach. Remember to state the outcomes and/or path to publication)
- Cited literature (not included in page limit)
- For the electronic submission, the items to upload should include:
- Mandatory information form
- Three-page research project plan and cited literature
- Letter of support from faculty sponsor
- Cancer-relevance of the project
- Scientific method
- Impact the award will have on the development of the trainee. This can include the productivity/accomplishments of the trainee.
- Selection committee could consist of senior/program leaders, PCCR members or other experts.
Announcement History And Updates
|Funding Opportunity Number||Summary of Change|
|PCCR-SURA-FY2020-01||Initiation of Announcement|
- Internal Funding
- Shared Resource and Affiliated Facility Projects
- Summer Undergrad Research Award
- SIRG Grad Research Assistantship
- Pilot Grants Program Calendar 2019-2020
- Robbers New Investigator Award
- Graduate Student Travel Award
- CIS Program Special Projects
- TSD Program Special Projects
- DDMS Program Special Projects