Phase 2 Mature Awards
Funding Opportunity Number
Funding Opportunity Title
PHASE II MATURE AWARDS
|Events||Cycle 1||Cycle 2|
|Announcement||September 10, 2018||February 4, 2019|
|Schedule a FASTR meeting||October 19, 2018||March 11, 2019|
|Due||November 16, 2018||April 9, 2019|
John Fry ( email@example.com )
Funding Opportunity Description
The Executive Committee would like to invite awardees of the center’s Phase I Concept Award with successful project completion to submit applications of project continuation for the Phase II Mature Awards. Collaborative teams involving intra- and inter-programmatic collaboration is highly encouraged and preferred, where applicable. Projects that utilize/incorporate the center’s shared resources are also desired. Funding for this opportunity is supported by generous donations by the Indiana Elks, gifts and other endowed funds to the center. The proposal will be funded at a level appropriate for the proposed work, but will not exceed $40,000.
FASTR deadline: Meeting should be scheduled by the dates in the table above. Please contact Douglas Cuttell (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a FASTR meeting. An FAQ on the FASTR meeting requirements is near the end of this document.
To apply, please submit your electronic application by 5 pm on the cycle due date . No exceptions. The electronic submission system will not allow applications beyond the deadline. Once here, you can enter your Purdue credentials. If somehow the password entry does not allow access, please click on "more choices." Click "use a different account" and enter "onepurdue\" in front of the user name and re-type your password. If there are further login problems, please email the administrative contact listed above.
Applicants must be PCCR members. Only one application per center member is allowed. No exceptions.
This announcement does not require cost sharing.
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
The number of awards is contingent upon PCCR endowments, gifts and other funds and the submission of meritorious applications.
The proposal will be funded at a level appropriate for the proposed work, but will not exceed $40,000 (Not to be included in six-page limit).
Award Project Period
Work should commence within less than two (2) months of the date of award. A project period of twelve (12) months or less is suggested. The FASTR map will indicate your project period from your project design.
The budget cannot be used for equipment greater than $2,000, PI salary support, clerical staff support or travel.
Acceptance of an award will indicate your willingness to serve on the center’s Pilot Grants Review Committee and to possibly represent the center at the annual Indiana Elks Convention. The awardee MUST acknowledge PCCR. Suggested publication acknowledgement:
“The authors gratefully acknowledge the <insert shared resource name/funding mechanism> and support from the Purdue University Center for Cancer Research, P30CA023168”
No Cost Extension (NCE)
No cost extensions are discouraged. An exception might be considered on a case-by-case basis. Requests must be made to the administration of PCCR.
Please note the award is contingent upon obtaining all of the necessary regulatory approvals (e.g., IRB, IACUC, PACUC) or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) pertaining to the work that has pending approvals.
Responding to periodic request of progress is required. Triage of future applications may occur if reporting requests are ignored.
- Proposal Length: The proposal should be single-spaced and a maximum of six pages in length (Arial, 11pt) with no less than 0.5-inch margins.
- Required Proposal Structure:
- Title, Applicant(s) name, Applicant(s) program
- Specific Aims (suggest no more than one page)
- Significance, Innovation and Phase I results: This section should emphasize the novel, creative and/or innovative aspects, cancer relevance and progress to date from the Phase I award.
- Approach: In addition to describing the scientific plan, the integration of collaborative science is important and the relevant expertise of the team. Describe the collaborative nature of the project (or plan for collaboration) and provide strong evidence for the scientific integration of the contributions from the various participants. Letters of support from your collaborator(s) are encouraged (not included in page limit).
- Environment: Describe the shared resource(s) that will be used to add value to the science proposed in the application, if applicable
- Timeline and specific outcomes: Describe the expected outcomes and evidence that it will be ready to start within two (2) months. Please describe or outline your plan and expected outcomes/results for collecting the preliminary data necessary for attracting peer-reviewed funding and publications. This is facilitated by the FASTR process.
- For the electronic submission, the items to upload should include:
- Six-page proposal
- Cited literature (not included in page limit)
- Project map
- NIH Biosketch (including collaborators)
- Current and pending funding
- Letters of support (if applicable)
- The primary review criteria will be:
- Novelty / innovative / creativity
- Significance / scientific merit / cancer relevance (which includes Phase I progress)
- Integration of collaborative science
- Potential to attract peer-review funding and peer-reviewed publications
- The appropriateness of the budget requested for supplies, where applicable.
- Productivity from previous internal awards will be assessed and weighted appropriately.
- Reviewers could consist of senior/program leaders, members or external experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main tool used is Microsoft Visio. It is a flow-charting software. There are alternatives like Smart Draw: https://www.smartdraw.com/flowchart/flowchart-maker.htm , which is available in a downloadable version or online version. Doug will still be using Visio to draw. Using PowerPoint is not recommended as it can be cumbersome to use for this purpose.
Announcement History And Updates
|Funding Opportunity Number||Summary of Change|
|PCCR-CON-FY2019-01||Initiation of Announcement|