SIRG Grad Research Assistantship
Funding Opportunity Number
Funding Opportunity Title
SIRG GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP
|Announcement||January 14, 2021|
|Due||March 9, 2022|
John Fry (email@example.com)
Funding Opportunity Description
The Purdue University Center for Cancer Research has allocated SIRG Graduate Research Assistantships from the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships (EVPRP). The center is soliciting nominations from Center Faculty Members (only) for outstanding graduate students undertaking cancer-related research.
Significance and relevance to cancer will be given high priority in awarding the center-administered SIRG Assistantships. In addition, the approach to the research will also be evaluated. Please indicate the predicted outcomes for the proposed research plan (publication(s) or/and the contribution of the research to extramural grant submission). The trainee is expected to write the proposal.
To apply, please submit your electronic application by 5 pm on the cycle due date. No exceptions. The electronic submission system will not allow applications beyond the deadline. Once here, you can enter your Purdue username and password.
Only students in good standing (minimum GPA = 3.5) working for their PhD degree may apply. Students must have passed the oral prelims and/or be admitted to PhD candidacy before June 1, 2022. If by June 1, 2022 an awardee has not fulfilled this requirement, the SIRG will revert to the center. Applications that are submitted through other departments can be submitted to the center in response to this call, providing the projects are cancer-relevant. Only one application per faculty member is allowed.
The amount of this award is a standard amount that the EVPRP office designates. Because every department/college has different stipend amounts, some cost share may be required to standardize the stipend.
Funds Available and Anticipated Number of Awards
A total of three awards will be available.
Award Project Period
12 months, starting June 1, 2022
Recipients will be required to submit a one-page summary of the project in lay language before the award is activated.
Required Publication Acknowledgement
“The authors gratefully acknowledge the SIRG Graduate Research Assistantships Award and support from the Purdue University Center for Cancer Research, P30CA023168.” The awardee is required to include the PCCR logo on their presentations and may contact the administrative contact listed above.
The applicant will provide their ORCID and join the PCCR LinkedIn group page to stay connected for reporting purposes during the electronic application process. For assistance, use the administrative contact listed above.
No Cost Extension (NCE)
No cost extensions are not allowed. All funds must be expended by June 30, 2023.
Please note the award is contingent upon obtaining all of the necessary regulatory approvals (e.g., IRB, IACUC, PACUC) or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) pertaining to the work that has pending approvals.
Responding to periodic requests of career impact is required. Triage of future applications may occur if reporting requests are ignored.
- Application Length: The application should be single-spaced and a maximum of five pages in length (Arial, 11pt) with no less than 0.5-inch margins.
- Required Application Structure:
- Specific aim of the project
- Background and significance (This section should emphasize cancer relevance as well as provide clear precedent motivating proposed project)
- Approach/plan of research (This will be evaluated based on hypotheses to be tested as well as proposed experimental approach. Remember to state the outcomes and/or path to publication.)
- Cited Literature (not included in page limit)
- For the electronic submission, the items to upload should include:
- Five-page application
- Brief CV of the student including grade point average and number of semesters in the program
- Letter of recommendation from the major professor which must include a paragraph stating the cancer relevance of the project and why it should be supported by a PCCR SIRG award. In particular, please describe if the proposed experiments are described in any submitted/funded proposals by the faculty advisor.
- Please provide the following information in one page pdf file:
- Faculty - please provide the following information:
- Do you currently have a PCCR SIRG Grant from 2019-2022? If yes, expiration date and Sponsor Program number?
- Student graduate Index (GPA)______________ (Based on ______________ accumulative hours completed)
- Has this student passed their prelim exams? If no, what date is passage expected?
- Did the student or professor write this proposal?
- Students - please provide the following information:
- Have you applied to other graduate assistantship grants for 2019-2022?
- Have you submitted this proposal to another department? If yes, which department?
- Accomplishments by the student: please indicate publication record, contribution to extramural grant awards or Patent Disclosures.
- Faculty - please provide the following information:
- Cancer-relevance of the project
- Impact the award will have on the development of the trainee. This can include the productivity/accomplishments of the trainee.
- Selection committee could consist of senior/program leaders, PCCR members or other experts.
Announcement History And Updates
|Funding Opportunity Number||Summary of Change|
|PCCR-SIRG-FY2022-01||Initiation of Announcement|