Big Data Training for Cancer Research
BigCare 2023 Summer Workshop is accepting applications now! Please submit your application following the "Apply" button above or using this link.
The application deadline is January 6, 2023.
BigCare 2023 Summer Workshop [flyer]
Purdue University Center for Cancer Research (PCCR) and Indiana University Simon Comprehensive Cancer Center (IUSCCC) are pleased to announce the annual NCI-funded workshop on "Big Data Training for Cancer Research" on May 19-28, 2023. This 10-day intensive workshop will help cancer researchers develop skills for managing, visualizing, analyzing, and integrating various types of omics data in cancer studies. The course is open to cancer researchers including oncologists, faculty, postdoctoral researchers and graduate students. Individuals from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
The format of the workshop includes a combination of instructional lectures, special guest lectures, real-data analysis practices, IPA and CGC tutorials, group projects and presentations. The workshop aims to improve practical bioinformatics skills and computational competency. Using established tools and publicly available resources, we will focus on the analysis and interpretation of genomic and genetic data, making it more suitable for researchers with limited big data analytical skills. Applications will be considered from all qualified faculty, clinicians, postdocs, and post-prelim graduate students in cancer research.
Workshop topics include:
- Using public databases and tools to better understand the molecular basis of cancer
- Differential expression analysis using bulk and single-cell RNA-seq data
- Use of Next Generation Sequencing data for ChIP-seq and epigenetics
- Visualization and functional assessment of data
- Network construction and meta-analysis
- Genome variation and genome-wide association study
Prerequisites for the workshop:
- A semester-long statistics course or equivalent
- Have completed coursework related to cancer biology
- Actively working in cancer research
- Graduate students must have passed their preliminary/admission to candidacy exam
There is no cost for registration and tuition!* The workshop will be held on-site at Purdue University, in West Lafayette, IN. There would be no cost for food or lodging, and travel scholarships would be available for a limited number of participants. Please watch our website for updates.
The BigCare Team