Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Cash Advances

Cash advances for faculty, staff and graduate student staff are available to offer assistance to the employee with the out-of-pocket expenses associated with business travel. Faculty, staff and graduate student staff may request cash advances through Concur, subject to the limitations defined in the Travel Advances for Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Staff procedure document.

 All employees are eligible for a Visa Travel Card, and therefore the need for cash advances should be minimal.

If the travel is part of a research project or study abroad group expenses, the cash advance should be obtained through a Project Advance.  This type of advance is processed outside the Concur system. Details for obtaining a Project Advance are found at Requesting a Project Advance (Funding) QRC.

Travel cash advances are available for the following:

  • Employees who will be traveling to countries with a cash-based economy;
  • Eligible staff not allowed to obtain a Visa Travel Card; and
  • New employees that need to travel and have applied for, but not received their Visa Travel Card

An itemized estimate is required to be attached to the Concur Trip Request.   Travelers are personally responsible for any unused portion of the advance, and will be returned to the University via Payroll Deduction upon completion of the trip.

There are two ways to obtain a Cash Advance:

1)      Use your Visa Travel Card at any ATM to receive up to $500 cash per cycle. Upon return, reconcile the ATM Cash Advance in Concur. For specific instructions on how to reconcile the ATM Cash Advance, see the QRC titled Completing an Expense Report from a Travel Request in Concur Travel & Expense.

2)      Cash Advance greater than $500 should be requested through the Concur Travel & Expense System. The Cash Advance will require fiscal approval in the Concur system, and will be paid to the employee via Direct Deposit 2-3 days ahead of the departure date. Upon return, the Cash Advance must be ‘assigned’ to the proper expense report, and reconciled. For specific instructions on how to request, assign, and reconcile a Cash Advance, see the QRC titled Cash Advance in Concur Travel and Expense.