Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature


Lodging expenses are reimbursable if the business trip is overnight or long enough that the traveler needs to stop for sleep or rest to properly perform their business duties.

Lodging expense is reimbursed upon presentation of an original receipt from a commercial lodging establishment. University guidelines allow for a daily room rate not exceed 100% (double) the CONUS/OCONUS maximum lodging rate plus tax. When this rate is exceeded an explanation should be included on the expense report. A person may not claim reimbursement for lodging when the lodging was provided by an individual not in the business of providing lodging, i.e., friends and relatives.

  • A lodging receipt is 'always' required.
  • The receipt must show
    • The name and address of the place of lodging and dates of occupancy.
    • Daily room rate and taxes
    • Details of other charges such as meals, telephone calls, etc.

Extra charges such as tips, room service, movies, personal phone calls, laundry services (less than 4 consecutive nights), late checkout fees, meals or miscellaneous charges are not reimbursable and must be marked as personal when itemizing the lodging expense.

 Additional fees charged for late checkout are not reimbursable. It is the traveler’s responsibility to check out in sufficient time to not be charged a late checkout fee.  Generally lodging establishments have facilities to store luggage at no additional cost after checkout.

Lodging During Foreign Travel

Regardless of source of funds, the cost of the lodging must be converted to U.S. dollars. Concur Travel & Expense will automatically convert to U.S. currency when a line item is entered in foreign currencies.

Sharing Rooms

Faculty/staff members may be reimbursed when paying for expenses on behalf of other employees, IF

  • Both employees are conducting official business for the University, and
  • The employee that paid for both of the rooms should attach the receipt on the expense report, and
  • The accounts are distributed on the expense report, and
  • A comment should be entered on the expense report when a traveler is not claiming lodging because it was paid by another employee.


Commercial receipts for campgrounds will be reimbursed as lodging receipts.