Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Approval Process

The traveler should get approval (verbal or in writing) from the supervisor prior to booking any travel.  Approval prior to the trip insures that the traveler's supervisor and/or department head approves of the activity, funds are available for reimbursement, and traveler is covered under workman's compensation insurance.

The Travel Request form in Concur Travel & Expense communicates that the traveler will be in travel status.  A travel request is only required when the traveler is using a common carrier, i.e., airfare, train or when the trip will not be paid by Purdue University.

An individual is in travel status when traveling on official business for Purdue whether or not expenses will be reimbursed by the University.

Business travel is defined as duties that require the traveler (Purdue employee) to be away from their regular place of business or post of duty (official station), regardless of where the family home is located. Travel expense reimbursement is limited to the lesser of expenses incurred from the departure point or from the "official station". The official station is defined as the location of the permanent office which includes the entire city or general area in which the 'official station' is located.

If the traveler is departing from some place other than their permanent office, a comparison must be attached to the Concur expense report indicating expenses are the lesser of the two.

Blanket Travel

Blanket Travel is defined as any travel that does not include a common carrier ticket (air or train).  Blanket Travel does not require a “Trip Request” or any pre-trip approval or notification.

Foreign Travel Requests

All foreign travel will be reimbursed using the federal foreign travel reimbursement rates unless the source of funds requires the use of State travel reimbursement rates.

The use of gift funds and general funds no longer require an exception.

  • Gift funds may be used for foreign travel as long as the purpose of the trip is consistent with the intentions of the donor.
  • General funds may be used for foreign travel when the purpose of the trip is consistent with the purpose of the fund.
  • When foreign travel relates to research, sponsored program research funds should be used if the trip is allowable and funds are available in the project.

Foreign travel is defined as travel to, between, or within countries outside the United States and its territories and possessions.

The federal foreign travel (OCONUS) fixed meal allowance, is determined monthly by the United States Department of State and Government Accounting Office.

Expense Report

The expense report provides a detailed summary of all expenses paid by the traveler.  The traveler or traveler's delegate creates the expense report in Concur Travel & Expense.

Absence Greater than 22 days

Research/instructional/engagement travel and change-in-duty station leaves of 22 working days or less will not require a signed RLA form.

If the travel event requires the staff member to be absent from campus for greater than 22 consecutive work days, the absence must be approved by the President of the University or his designee.  This approval is obtained through the HRS Form RLA (Request & Leave Action for Sabbatical, Research, Outside Activity or Change in Duty). The HRS Form RLA is not required for vacation absences.

If the travel is less than 22 days, approval will be incorporated into the travel request process.

Student Travel Issues

Regulations and Procedures for Recognized Student Organizations reads as follows:

  • Any trips away from campus sponsored by student organizations must be registered on an Activity Form through the Student Activities and Organizations Office website BoilerLink.
  • Trips scheduled by sports clubs must follow guidelines published by the director of recreationsl sports.
  • Additional requirements must be met when a student organization is planning a trip outside of the United States.
  • AND, the following is taken from the Faculty and Staff Handbook:

Field Trips

If the travel is less than 22 days, approval will be incorporated into the travel request process.

Class field trips may be taken with approval of the school/college dean or department head.  The names of students involved in these trips and pertinent data regarding the trips must be submitted by the staff members in charge to the appropriate dean or department head prior to the trip.  Forms for this purpose should be obtained through the school/college or department.

In all cases where group absences apply, students should be directed to contact their instructors as far in advance as possible in order to arrange making up work to be missed.

Student travel for required instruction or inspection trips will be listed in Purdue University bulletins.  If students must incur lodging and meal expenses, this will be stated.  It is acceptable to have a general statement covering the requirements of a particular department.  Requests for non-required trips and permission to collect funds from trip participants should be processed two weeks in advance of the trip to the proper business administrator.

University-owned buses, vans, and cars can be scheduled to accommodate any size group for trips of a few hours or several days.  While all drivers of University vans and cars must possess a valid Unived States or Canadian driver's license, students may operate University vehicles only with an approved RM01 form signed by Risk Management.  If a privately owned vehicle is used, adequate public liability and property damage insurance must be in force.  In those situations, the insurance coverage on the driver's vehicle is considered primary coverage.