With two different types of 3D printer available, you have a lot of options for your 3D printing project. These options come with specific rules and requirements, and our 3D printers are pretty popular, so schedule your project early!
NOTICE: We are no longer using 3D PrinterOS so please follow the new instructions below, or come talk with a TA.
- Students and staff are allowed to print items with a volume up to 2 x 2 x 2 inch (50mm) cube, per student per week for free with material supplied by the lab (PLA Material Only). If you want to print more than the allotted amount or in a color of your preference, you will need to provide your own spool of material labeled with your name and Purdue email. Weekly limits do not combine when unused.
- If your printing is for a class or sponsored research, we ask that students purchase their own spool. The free spools are meant for exploration and personal projects, please help us keep our internal costs down on this free service.
- If you are providing a personal spool it must be 3mm (2.85mm) diameter Hatchbox, eSun, or Matterhackers Build Series brand regular PLA filament only. ABS is not recommended for general printing use. If you specify ABS your part may be rejected if it is deemed non-printable or if it fails more than three times. If you would like feedback on your part please come by and talk with a TA. Other brands, sizes, and material types will not be accepted. Also glow in the dark or other exotic blends will not be accepted.
- Personal spools must have your email written on it.
- We only print to Polar Cloud accounts made with Purdue emails. Do not use gmail.
- We have the right to cancel your print if it appears to be an illegal, dangerous, or inappropriate object whether it is functional or not.
- Every print submitted must include a note of which material you want to use.
ex: "Lab spool" OR "My PLA spool"
- Completed prints must be picked up within 2 weeks after completion otherwise they will be recycled.
- We have the right to cancel your print if the above rules are not followed.
- Prints that can be easily manufactured using other methods will be cancelled. As they can typically be made faster than via 3D printing. With our limited number of printers we try to process as many jobs as quickly as possible.
- Lulzbot Mini 3D printers
- Lulzbot Taz 6 3D printers
- Markforged metal X 3D printers
- Markforged Mark Two composite printers