SecurePurdue Token - How to Use Your New BoilerKey
Getting StartedCongratulations on moving into a new-era of computer security. Your new BoilerKey provides greatly enhanced security.
Using the BoilerKey
Triggering Your BoilerKey to Display a New CodeTo have your Purdue BoilerKey generate a new code, hold your token with the notched end for the key ring to the right and then press the button directly to the right of the display screen. The BoilerKey will display the new code for 25 seconds. If you need a new code, you can press the button and a new code will be displayed.
BoilerKey Code Augments Career Account PasswordIn all applications using the BoilerKey for authentication, you would enter a passcode instead of your Purdue Career Account password in the password box. The passcode is your Purdue Career Account password augmented with the BoilerKey Code separated by a comma.
For example, if your career account password was D0wnOnF@rm and your Purdue BoilerKey displayed the code 041281, then the passcode you would enter would be D0wnOnF@rm,041281
Using the BoilerKey for OnePurdue SAP Portal AuthenticationYou may use your BoilerKey to access your OnePurdue SAP Portal. You will continue to use your Career Account login and password for other Purdue resources. To use your BoilerKey on the portal:
- Go to the Purdue BoilerKey Self Serve page. In the "Available BoilerKey Authentication Service" section, turn on the OnePurdue SAP Portal service.
- Connect to OnePurdue SAP Portal.
- In the "User ID" box enter your career account login name.
- In the "Password" box, enter your passcode ([Career Account Password],[BoilerKey Code]).
- Click the "Log on" button. You should now have access to the Portal.
- If you have difficulty logging in, please refer to the "Problems?" section of this webpage.
Problems?You may encounter the OnePurdue SAP Portal error message: "User Authentication Failed" when attempting to login. If subsequent attempts are also unsuccessful or you have other difficulties with the BoilerKey, go to the SecurePurdue page at www.purdue.edu/securepurdue and follow the BoilerKey links to the Self Serve page. Login to the page using your career account login name and password.
- In the "Check your passcode", enter your passcode ([Career Account Password],[BoilerKey Code]).
- Click on the "Check Passcode" button.
- If successful, you will receive a message: "The passcode was correct". Please contact the ITaP Customer Service Center or your Distributed IT Support to further troubleshoot your authentication problem.
- If unsuccessful, please use "Re-Synchronize " on the self serve page.
If you are successful in re-synchronizing your BoilerKey, please attempt to use your BoilerKey for authentication once again.
- Contact your distributed IT group, the ITaP Customer Service Center or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further difficulties.
Don't Have Your Key With You?Please contact your Distributed IT Support or the ITaP Customer Service Center immediately to report a lost or stolen BoilerKey. If you are temporarily without your BoilerKey, they can reset your SAP Portal access to use the career account password. Please notify them again to resume use of the BoilerKey.
About the BoilerKeySecurity is the best reason to use the new BoilerKey. Guessing or stealing a password becomes extremely difficult with a password that continues to change.
Your new BoilerKey can generate continually changing series of six digits. These six digits, combined with Purdue career account password, are used in place of password alone. Logging into secure applications then becomes a matter of entering your user name, then filling in the password with your career account password and the current six digit number (BoilerKey code) displayed on your BoilerKey. Once a BoilerKey code has been used once, it cannot be used again. This one-time password feature provides an extra level of security.
Helpful BoilerKey Links
ITaP Customer CenterITaP Customer Service Center
On Campus: 4-4000
Off Campus: 765-494-4000
BoilerKey CareThe BoilerKey is the property of Purdue University and is issued to employees in the normal course of their employment. Keys must be promptly surrendered to the University at termination or separation of employment.
The Key must be kept private and secure; do not permit others to use your token or any session established with the Key.
You must not attempt to alter, circumvent or otherwise tamper with the BoilerKey. Do not corrupt, deface or damage the BoilerKey. The BoilerKey has no replaceable parts, including its battery.
You are responsible for the BoilerKey so please keep it attached to a personal item such as a key chain to insure its safety and availability.
The BoilerKey is designed to be rugged and should last for approximately six years. However, treat it with the same care you would any sensitive electronic device such as a cell phone or PDA.