Where may I find an organizational chart for some key areas at Purdue?

An organizational chart is available from Enrollment Management.

What is the process for acceptance of 10-year-old credit?

You may find information on the Student Regulations website.

Deans of schools may refuse to accept as credit toward graduation any course that was completed 10 or more years previously. Former students shall be notified immediately of all such decisions upon re-entering. Substitutions of courses required for graduation may be made by the dean of the school conferring the degree.

What if a student has three final exams scheduled on one day?

Per University policy, students scheduled for more than two examinations in one calendar day are entitled to reschedule any examinations in excess of two. Similarly, students faced with a direct exam conflict are entitled to reschedule either examination. It is the responsibility of the student to make the necessary arrangements before the last week of regularly scheduled classes. Course instructor shall not penalize student who chooses to reschedule an examination under these options.

Conflicts shall be resolved as follows (University Senate Document 81-4, April 19, 1982):

  1. In case of examination conflicts (exams scheduled for the same student at the same time), similar to final examinations, students faced with a direct exam conflict are entitled to reschedule either examination. It is the responsibility of the student to make the request for the necessary arrangements at least one week before the scheduled exam. Course instructors shall not penalize a student who chooses to reschedule an examination under these options. In the event the student is unable to reach an agreement with the course instructors to reschedule one of the exams, student will contact the Office of the Registrar; the Registrar will make the final decision as to which exam is to be rescheduled and offered at an alternate time; the Registrar will communicate this decision to the course instructor and relevant department head.
  2. In case of examination conflicts with a scheduled evening course the conflict should be resolved by the course instructors, provided that the student informs them of the conflict at least a week before the exam. If the instructors cannot resolve the conflict, the scheduled evening course takes priority. The examination instructor must offer an alternative time for their exam.
  3. Other conflicts should be resolved between the instructor and the student. Reasons for conflicts should be taken under careful consideration by the instructor. These can include, but are not limited to, participating in athletic or theatrical events, employment, and other mandatory responsibilities. If conflict resolution is not possible, the examination shall take precedence, subject to appeal through the head of the department in which the course is offered.
  4. The Office of the Dean of Students will be available for assistance in conflict resolution.

What are some best practices for interacting with parents?

Your department or unit may have a program specifically for parents and families. Check with your advising unit.  

Purdue University's Parent & Family Programs is a resource for helping parents and families understand the goals of the University community, serving as a central point of contact, and creating positive, long-term relationships between parents, families and the University.

As an academic advisor, what do I tell a parent/guardian about opportunities to be involved in their student's education?

Advise the parent/guardian that their role in their student's education has changed. Parent & Family Programs at Purdue has many different ways for parents and families to be involved. Encourage the parent/guardian that they know their child best. If any new behaviors are of concern, let the University know (Parents & Families, academic advisor, Office of the Dean of Students, etc.). Concerns about the student will be addressed, though due to FERPA laws, the University may not contact the parent/guardian to let them know the result of the information provided.

What should a student do if it's necessary to miss a class?

When a student finds it is necessary to miss a class, it is the student's responsibility to let the professor(s) know he/she will be absent and to turn in assignment(s). If it's known in advance that it's necessary to miss a day of class, advise the student to communicate with each professor as soon as possible to discuss how they will make up assignments and/or turn in homework. If the student is gone unexpectedly, some professors require proper documentation of an absence before they will let the student make up assignments; examples of documentation include a doctor's note, court papers, etc. It is the professor's discretion to allow makeup work that is missed. If the work is missing more than three days, it's advisable to contact the Office of the Dean of Students as soon as possible. Remind the student to be aware of dates the University is in session and when breaks take place. The academic calendar can be found on the Registrar's website.

What is the process for a student to request that a new course be evaluated through the Credit Evaluation Office?

First, check the Purdue Transfer Credit Course Equivalency Guide. Generally, to transfer credit the coursework must meet the following criteria:

  • Earned at a regionally accredited institution.
  • College-level coursework (not remedial or developmental).
  • Student received a grade of "C-" or better in the course.

For a course not previously approved, a student may request approval through Office of Admissions, Credit Evaluation. The student may email evalcredit@stat.purdue.edu. The following information should be included:

  1. The name and location of the school
  2. Website for course (if available)
  3. Title, brief description, prerequisites and text used for course
  4. Course outline
  5. Instructor

Where is the most updated information on transfer credits? What transfer courses does PUWL accept from regional campuses?

Information can be found at:

  • Transfer Credit Course Equivalency Guide.
  • Indiana college students — Core Transfer Library.
  • Purdue System Course Replacement List for Degree Progression/Audit.
  • You can also find information on the Admissions website.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Academic Advising

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact Office of Academic Advising at skmonroe@purdue.edu.