Grades, Adds, Drops and Overrides

How do students obtain an incomplete grade and what is the policy for completion of this incomplete grade?

University Senate Document 83-8, March 26, 1984; revised by University Senate Document 97-7, April 27, 1998, and University Senate Document 00-5, March 19, 2001: For Incomplete Work: A grade of incomplete is a record of work that was interrupted by unavoidable absence or other causes beyond a student's control.

When an instructor reports a grade of incomplete, he/she shall file in the departmental office Registrar's Form 60 stating the reasons for the grade and what is required of the student to achieve a permanent grade. The instructor shall also indicate the grade the student has earned on the work completed, and the weight to be given to the remainder of the work in computing a final, permanent grade.

The student must achieve a permanent grade in the course no later than one year after the incomplete is given, or the incomplete grade will revert to a failing grade. A student will not be permitted to enroll in a course in a future semester for a course in which they have a current I, PI or SI grade.

What does it mean to test out of a class?

Students have the opportunity to show proficiency in a subject that they do not already have credit in by taking Advanced Credit or CLEP exams. Many departments will award credit for successfully passing these exams; however, you will want to check with each department to confirm this. For more information about Advanced Credit exams visit the Purdue Testing Center website. Information on CLEP exams can be found here.

What factors should be considered before an international student officially drops a class?

  • Students should be informed of any potential consequences of changing to part-time academic status should dropping a class put the student below 12 credit hours.
  • International students are required to be enrolled full time in order to maintain their visa status.
  • Dropping a class may mean that a future term's academic load will be heavier or possibly the student's graduation will be delayed.
  • If any courses are a corequisite to the course being dropped, it is necessary to drop the corequisite course as well.

What other information would be helpful to international undergraduate students?

  • International students may not use more than three credits of online learning toward the minimum required for a full course of study. Flipped courses do not count as online learning since these courses require the student's physical presence.
  • An international student who begins his or her program in the summer session must enroll in and complete six credit hours during the first summer session.
  • International students are not required to enroll in 12 credit hours in their final semester; they are only required to enroll in classes that are required to complete their degree. At least one of the classes in the final semester must require their physical presence on campus. In other words, they can’t do all online coursework in their final semester.
  • Generally, international students may not pursue a semester-based Study Abroad experience in their final semester.
  • Incomplete grades must be completed in order to be considered a part of the full course of study. Retaking a course is not considered completing the original course.

When can a grade in a course replace a grade in a different course (i.e., CHM 25600 to replace MCMP 20500)?

Transfer credit does not replace a grade from Purdue, per Student Regulations. Only repeating the same or equivalent course at any Purdue campus will allow a grade replacement on the transcript. Any questions regarding equivalencies should be directed to the Office of the Registrar for validation.

What overrides, including HONR overrides, are standard and do we have permission to do it without calling?

There are not many "standard" overrides. Check the Office of the Registrar advisors Web page for common student registration errors and solutions.

To contact the department in which an override is desired, consult the Override Contact Guide, located on the Office of the Registrar website.

When is it appropriate to give an override?

Visit the Registrar’s website to view the Override Contact Guide.

Any request for a CLOSED class must be approved by the Schedule Deputy Schedule Deputy Contacts.

The requester should have the following information available when making the request:

  • Student full name.
  • Student PUID.
  • Subject, course and CRN if appropriate.
  • Kind of override requested: Registration Error Help.
  • Why the student merits an override.

The student should anticipate the override, once approved, to be entered into myPurdue. Once completed, the student must register for the class.

For all other overrides, only when you know you have the delegated authority of the department in charge of the course can an override be done.

What do I tell students about a Hold?

Holds are placed on a student's account to restrict access/use of an academic function (e.g., registration). Holds are placed on a student's account for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: non-payment of fines, bills or parking tickets, disciplinary action taken by the Office of the Dean of Students, or failure to meet immunization requirements.

Holds can be viewed by the student in myPurdue and clicking "View Holds." Visit the Registrar's student hold website for more information pertaining to holds.

How do I determine if an online course is appropriate for a student? What factors should the student consider?

Consider the student’s learning style. Can the student:

  • Manage time effectively?
  • Be disciplined to set aside time for studying?
  • Be self-motivated and a self-learner?

It is suggested a student plan to spend three hours minimum per week for every credit hour of class. For example: for a 3.0 cr. hr. class, it is suggested that study time be approximately nine hours per week minimum. "Study time" is considered the time spent after initial retrieval of information.

For online learning, consider the following:

  • Limited interaction with the instructor.
  • Limited social interaction.
  • Appropriate access to technology that meets the course requirements.
  • Some courses require a proctor for taking exams.
  • Transferability of the course to Purdue University.
  • Depending on the course, the cost may not be included in the student's Purdue fees/tuition or covered by financial aid.

How can a current student apply for the Honors College?

Criteria for a continuing student application:

  • Have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA. The following must be included with the application:
    • A pdf copy of your current transcript, your Purdue ID (PUID) and a list of scholarships granted to you by Purdue (if applicable).
    • A personal statement that answers: What are you passionate about and why? What are your life goals and how will your Purdue degree help you accomplish them?
    • A projected plan of study that shows how you will incorporate the Honors College curriculum into your remaining semesters.
    • Students must have at least four semesters of study remaining at the Purdue West Lafayette campus.
    • Students must agree to complete the Honors College curriculum.
  • Student must complete the Honors College transfer/continuing student application during the open application period. 
  • The application must be completed at one time. It is not possible to save it and return to it later.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Academic Advising

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact Office of Academic Advising at