Please download this Word document that has a complete list of our Fall 2020 events along with the flyers for publicity needs:
I. Fall Semester Recurring Events
1) Lunch and Learn Series
12 - 1PM Eastern Time, Thursdays
Registration Link: https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0AOHzNnlIKVUZa5
2) Reali-Tea Series: Conversations on Mental Health and Well-being, Self-Care Times, and Weekly Student Hours (Collaborative Programming with Purdue CAPS)
Weekly Student Hours: 1 - 2PM Eastern Time, Wednesdays, via Zoom
Join us for a weekly opportunity to have conversations with AAARCC’s CAPS Liaisons. On the second Wednesday of every month, our CAPS liaisons will lead a workshop on the following topics: Pressures of Expectations & Experiences of College (Sep 9), Dating & Relationships (Oct 14), and International Student Mental Health (Nov 11).
Access to weekly student hours (Wednesdays, 1 - 2PM EST):
- Zoom meeting link: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/441495136?pwd=RTkrUDRmSk14WkRhQkNidDdQdTlsQT09
- Meeting ID: 441 495 136
- Passcode: AAARCC
Restrictions and Guidelines:
1) These meetings will be limited to consultation, meaning our Liaisons will assess what your needs are at present, offer you help in the moment, and potentially connect you to resources that are fitting. These are not therapy hours.
2) However, our Liaisons may refer students to their case loads for teletherapy if appropriate.
3) Only students currently in the state of Indiana may use this service due to license restrictions
4) The state line restriction may be shifting due to the state of emergency situation. We will let students know if/when that changes.
3) Catch the Career Coach Student Hours and Presentations and Pre-Professional Advising Sessions (Collaborative Programming with Purdue CCO)
A. Catch the Career Coach Virtual Student Hours
11 - 12PM Eastern Time, Tuesdays, via Zoom
B. Catch the Career Coach Presentations for Fall 2020
11 - 12PM Eastern Time
Registration Link: https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eqtZwuiGKr811hX
C. Pre-Professional Advising Concurrent Sessions Fall 2020
11 - 12PM Eastern Time, via Zoom
Ask any questions about pre-professional career choices, preparations, and explorations.
4) Virtual Writing Group for Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Students
7:30 - 10 AM Eastern Time, 6 - 8 PM Eastern Time every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Structure (flexible, join as you can): 5 minute goal setting, 25 minute writing, repeat
Join here: https://discord.gg/JZcRNwt
“Each time I have joined sessions for this writing group, it has helped me be accountable for my research productivity, which is important for my career. These writing sessions increase my writing output and give me a peace of mind because I know that I'm making progress on my writing even among my many commitments.” -@Mel P
The writing group has been incredibly helpful to me by creating a writing ritual during a very chaotic time. I actually look forward to getting up early to join the group and get some work done early on so I can feel like I was productive for the rest of the day! -@Jenny
This writing group has helped me maintain my focus on my dissertation writing, as I try to balance my different professional commitments. The members of this group are super supportive so it is always a joy to be writing with all of them. — @tye
The writing group helps me to show up for my work during this pandemic. -@tricker
The writing group has helped keep me accountability to my dissertation writing schedule. It is nice to not write in isolation and with others committed to writing. For example, Last week, I completed the introductory sections of my literature review. This week, I am working on the drafting one of the three main cultural ideologies in my literature review. -@kayla
5) Asian-Interest Student Organizations Leadership Series
6:30 - 7:30PM Eastern Time, via Zoom
Join Asian-Interest student organization leaders for time of discussions on leadership and community building.
A. AAARCC Leadership Series Virtual Workshop #1
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
“Come join us to learn more about Asian and Asian American Solidarity with other communities and applying it in your own communities.”
B. AAARCC Leadership Series Virtual Workshop #2
Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - 6:30-7:30 PM EST
“Debunking the Model Minority Myth: Resources & Tools”
6) Faculty/Staff Network
Dates TBD, monthly
Join our Asian Pacific American Caucus (APAC) Faculty/Staff Network meetings!
7) AAARCC & SAO Virtual Presentation and Office Hours
3 - 4PM Eastern Time, via Zoom
Join us in this event to learn about best practices and other information about hosting virtual programs by Cassandra Salazar from the Student Activities and Organizations Office.
Zoom Meeting Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83245286404?pwd=QldUZ2VqZStUOTNIME1neC9hdjR3dz09
8) Purdue AAARCC and Purdue Libraries Mobile Making Program
Diversity and Making: A Podcast & Video Series
The Purdue AAARCC Media Lab and the Mobile Making Program will be collaborating to create a monthly program centered on diversity among the Maker community. The program will involve a maker across the US and around the world creating a project costing around $10 that the audience can try at home.
9) AAARCC Media Lab Productions: Travel Asia with Ivan Anthony Santos Henares
Collaborating with Ph.D. Candidate in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Ivan Anthony Santos Henares, the AAARCC is making a video series of travels to different Asian countries.
Video release dates:
II. Fall Semester Special Events
1) AAARCC Virtual Welcome Back Event
3 - 4 PM Eastern Time - August 28, 2020 via Zoom
Join the AAARCC in an opportunity to network with the community, learn about upcoming events, and have an opportunity to win AAARCC merchandise through our activities!
Registration Link: http://tiny.cc/AAARCC-Welcome-Event
2) Virtual Training Session: Bias Against Asian & Asian American Students: Support & Response to the Current Climate
2 - 3:30 PM Eastern Time - September 2, 2020 via Zoom
“Get actionable takeaways and join this critical conversation with your peers on September 2, 2020 when our expert presenter will share key issues, best practices and insights on establishing impactful campus initiatives, responses and actions to bias, and long-term programming for Asian and Asian-American populations."
“You’ll be able to sensitively and inclusively understand and support this population on campus, as well as address unconscious bias and systemic racism against Asians within interpersonal interactions, departmental approaches, and institutional policies.”
To access the recording from this event, please follow the instructions here.
3) GLAAS Reading Program
12:30 - 1:30 PM Eastern Time, via Zoom
The AAARCC is excited to announce a brand new collaborative reading program with UIUC and IU this upcoming Fall Semester. We’ll be reading and discussing Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning by Cathy Park Hong. Each week, a different campus will be leading the participants in a discussion of the chapters selected for that week.
September 21, 2020 - "The End of White Innocence" & "Bad English"
September 28, 2020 - "An Education", "Portrait of an Artist", & "The Indebted"
4) AAARCC September 2020 Speaker Series and the Honors College Visiting Scholars Program
What Is a CEO and How Do You Become One?
5 PM Eastern Time - September 22, 2020 via Zoom
Our society places value on the character trait of leadership and allows individuals to define that concept through their lived experiences. Mr. Spencer Lee, CEO of Roto-Rooter will share with the audience about what a CEO does and the pathways to that role. Through this program, we aim to foster an opportunity for participants to network with one another and learn the skills necessary to be competitive in job market.
Registration Link: https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_abZ8LGszmFtYUy9
5) GLAASS Fall Reading Program Closing Event
A Reading of Minor Feelings: An Asian American Reckoning with Cathy Park Hong
12:30 - 2:30 PM Eastern Time - October 2, 2020 via Zoom
To conclude the AAARCC’s reading program, we have invited Cathy Park Hong, author of the memoir, “Minor Feelings” to discuss her experiences leading up to her work and her thoughts on the relevance of her work in the current social climate.
Registration Link: https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9FV20b4ndmNaBj7
6) AAARCC October 2020 Speaker Series
Innovative Pedagogies and Community Interventions to Reduce Prejudice, Stigma, and Discrimination
5 - 7 PM Eastern Time - October 8, 2020 via Zoom
Starting with the outbreak of COVID-19, we unfortunately continue to see in our society acts of racial discrimination, bias, and xenophobia targeted towards the diasporic Asian community. Guest speaker, Dr. Lisa Hanasono, Associate Professor at Bowling Green State University, has been invited to discuss her scholarship on ways that people communicate and cope with prejudice, discrimination, and stereotypes. Through this program, we aim to expand participants understanding of how innovative pedagogies, institutional transformation, and community interventions can reduce prejudice, stigma, and discrimination.
Registration Link: https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmt8S4fpuqhzrZb
7) De-Stress Week of Events
Approaching this event through various platforms, the AAARCC will provide opportunities for students to de-stress and enjoy community prior to finals week.
- November 16: ASL Monday
- November 17: Treat Yourself Tuesday
- November 18: AAPI Wednesday
- Films Playing at the AAARCC
- 8am-9:45am: The Half of It - Netflix
- 9:50am-11:40am: Nezha - Netflix
- 12pm-1:45pm: Over the Moon - Netflix
- 1:55pm-4pm: Crazy Rich Asians - HBO Max
- Virtual Options
- Pass-or-Fail Cambodia Town - Purdue Kanopy
- Tested - Purdue Kanopy
- Good Luck Soup - Purdue Kanopy
- America Numbers - Purdue Kanopy
- Films Playing at the AAARCC
- November 19: Thoughtful Thursday
- November 20: Fun Friday
- Join us at on Zoom for these games:
- 9am-10am: Bet on the Crowd
- 10:30am-11:30am: Read My Lips
- 12pm-1pm: Who wins the bracelet?
- 2pm-3pm: Jackbox
- Join us at on Zoom for these games:
- November 30: Motivation Monday
- December 1: DIY Tuesday
- December 2: Poetry Wednesday
- December 3: Virtual Care Package!
- December 4: Farewell Friday
8) End of Semester Video
Release Date: December 11, 2020