Immigration Documents

Immigration Documents

Students who are accepted to an undergraduate degree program and who intend to travel to the U.S. on a student visa, or to transfer from another U.S. institution to Purdue in a non-immigrant student status, are issued a Form I-20 or Form DS 2019.

Form I-20

  • issued to students who are financially sponsored by family or personal funds
  • used to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate

Form DS 2019

  • issued to students sponsored by a government, company or international organization
  • used to apply for a J-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate

Applying for a Student Visa

When making application for an F-1 or J-1 student visa, the following documents and information must be provided:

  • SEVIS fee receipt
  • Form I-20 or Form DS 2019
  • Valid passport
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Proof that the student´s stay in the US will be temporary (evidence of close social, family and economic ties to the student's homeland must be demonstrated). This evidence is generally in verbal form during an interview.

*Incoming students are responsible for the costs associated with obtaining their I-20 or DS-2019. After we receive your completed Notification of Intent (NOI), you will be invited to pay for an express shipping label through our online vendor service. You will receive more information about creating your label via email from our office.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars