Freshman (Beginner) Application Requirements

Students who have graduated or will graduate from secondary school but have not earned credits at a post-secondary institution should apply as a freshman (beginner) student. Students who have graduated from a secondary school and who have also earned credits at a post-secondary institution should apply as transfer students.

1. Apply Online

$60 Application Fee
Purdue University accepts the Common Application.

2. Secondary School Grades

When submitting an application via the Common Application, there will be two options:

Self-reported transcript (if prompted to do so while completing the online application) OR Uploaded original or attested copies of ALL transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets and certificates (i.e., IGCSE, X standard)from each secondary school attended.

All students who plan to attend Purdue University are required to provide official, final transcripts.

Most students will upload transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets and certificates to the Common Application from all secondary and post-secondary schools attended. If the documents cannot be uploaded to the application, they must be mailed in a sealed envelope from a secondary school or examination board or university (see mailing address below). To be evaluated, secondary documents must include 3 consecutive years of completed coursework. In some cases, students may need to send records from junior high. Click here for details on specific curriculum requirements for admission.

Mailing Address: Minimum High School Coursework
Purdue University Math - eight semesters
International Undergraduate Admissions English - eight semesters
475 Stadium Mall Drive Social Studies - six semesters
West Lafayette, IN 47907 U.S.A. Lab Science - six semesters (2 must be chemistry for Engineering applicants)

3. Official SAT or ACT Score

SAT or ACT scores with writing is strongly encouraged for international citizens. International citizens who submit an exceptional SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing(new), SAT Critical Reading(old), or ACT English score may be exempt from submitting additional scores.

Purdue requires all international applicants from a non-English speaking country to submit an English proficiency test score.

English proficiency can be demonstrated by submitting ONE of the following official scores:

Purdue Code: 1631
80*iBT or higher 88* iBT or higher
College of Agriculture College of Engineering
College of Education College of Science
College of Health & Human Sciences Krannert School of Management
College of Liberal Arts
College of Pharmacy
Purdue Polytechnic Institute
Exploratory Studies
*In general, subscores are 20 or higher per section


In general, applicants have an overall score of 6.5 or higher with at least a 6.0 in each section. Have scores sent to "Purdue University - Office of International Students and Scholars"

Purdue Code: 1631
SAT Reading Test(new) - 33 or higher
SAT Critical Reading(old) - top 15 percentile

Purdue Code: 1230
English - 28 or higher

British Ordinary Level English Language Exam
Grade of A or B in First-Language English. Submit original or certified true copy of certificate.

Note: Score results must be from a test taken within the past two years. Official test scores must be received directly from the testing organization. Applicants are required to submit all the standardized test results indicated on their application. Meeting the minimum English proficiency score does not guarantee admission. A student's complete application is holistically reviewed before a decision is made.

5. Letter of Recommendation

Though not required, a letter of recommendation is strongly encouraged, especially for students eligible to be considered for scholarships, for the Honors College or for those who are applying to highly competitive programs.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by International Students and Scholars

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact International Students and Scholars