Redirect page...

Stage 1: Information Collection/Restricted Persons/Parties (RPS) Screening, Instrument Selection and Document Preparation

  1. The faculty/staff member completes the Information Collection (IC) Form  and sends it to Office of Corporate and Global Partnerships (OCGP), Sponsored Program Services (SPS), and the respective Global Academic Committee (GAC) representative.  (GAC representatives)
  2. SPS will then conduct a restricted persons/parties screening (RPS).  If the RPS screening is not passed, then no agreement can be pursued. 
  3. If RPS screening is passed, then, after checking the OCGP global linkages database for existing agreements, SPS, in consultation with the GAC representative, OCGP and, as appropriate, the Head of Department/School and College/School, will help the faculty member determine the necessity and/or desirability of the proposed agreement and the best instrument for that agreement given the proposed scope. If it is determined that the agreement is not necessary, the responsible faculty/staff member will inform the overseas contact. 
  4. If approved, the faculty/staff member uses the appropriate template/s to draft the agreement/s with the overseas institution.
  5. If the partner institution insists on using its own template then the faculty/staff member reviews the international partner’s suggested agreement for content, using Purdue templates as references, and then forwards a draft to SPSOCGP and the GAC representative

Stage 2: Document Review, Clearance, and Signing

  1. For a Letter of Intent (LOI), if no language is changed and the RPS has been approved then both parties may sign. Department Head, Dean, Provost, Center Director, or their designee are allowed to sign for Purdue.
  2. For any agreement other than the standard Purdue LOI template, the responsible faculty/staff member uses the appropriate Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or Activity Agreement (AA) template to draft a document. (If the partner institution insists on using its own template then the faculty/staff member reviews the international partner’s suggested agreement for content, using Purdue templates as references, and then makes appropriate edits).
  3. The draft document is sent to the GAC representative, OCGP and SPS for review. SPS will contact the responsible faculty/staff member with any edits. When the required edits have been finalized, SPS will “clear” the document after receiving approvals from the GAC representative and OCGP and will either return the document to the responsible faculty/staff member for distribution to the authorized overseas signatories or send them directly to the authorized signatories, per the faculty/staff member’s preference. For Purdue, all MOUs and AAs must be signed by the Chief Officer for Corporate and Global Partnerships and the Senior Director for Sponsored Program Services.

Note: Purdue’s President does not routinely sign international partnership documents. When the president does sign, or in special circumstances when others are designated as signers for ceremonial purposes, a separate signature page is later attached to the document with the signatures of the authorized signatories.

Stage 3: Record Keeping

Once any of the three instruments is signed, the faculty/staff member should send an original copy to the international partner and a scanned copy to SPS. SPS will distribute final copies to the Office of Corporate and Global Partnerships (OCGP) and the Global Academic Committee (GAC) member. OCGP records agreements in the global linkages database while SPS maintains records in the COEUS database.

* For steps on drafting and approving Student Exchange Agreements, refer to

Note:  At Purdue an “Exchange Student” is typically an undergraduate student who changes registration status and pays their tuition and fees at their home institution in order to enroll as a non-degree student at the host institution as part of a reciprocal agreement between institutions.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by CILMAR

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact  CILMAR