Purdue Student Leadership Initiative — Leading the World Forward!
"What do students need to know, believe, be able to do, and engage in to be effective leaders in college, in their careers, and in society?"1
- Develop a Purdue-specific leadership development model, focused on ALL undergraduate students, that is intentional and evidence based
- Increase Gallup-Purdue Index Well-Being factors of purpose, social, financial and community
- Utilize "T-shaped" competencies approach so graduates are able to handle information from multiple sources, advance professional relationships across different organizations, contribute innovatively to organizational practices, and communicate with understanding across social, cultural, economic and scientific disciplines
- Integrate academic experience with cocurricular experiences and on-campus employment opportunities
- Remobilize existing expertise (faculty/staff) and resources
- Assess model for real-time relevance and adapt to current needs based on employer and alumni feedback
1Corey Seemiller, The Student Leadership Competencies Guidebook: Designing Intentional Leadership Learning and Development (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2014) xv.