May 13, 1988
Purdue Board of Trustees Approves Bids
West Lafayette, Ind. -- The Purdue University Board of Trustees Friday (5/13) approved bids totaling more than $20 million for construction and renovation projects at Purdue's central campus and two regional campuses.
However, bids on the landscaping of the Purdue Mall -- budgeted at $1.5 million -- were rejected because they were substantially above the estimates. University officials will seek new bids at a later date.
"We believe bids on this project came in high at least partially because the area's economy is booming and contractors are busy," said Frederick R. Ford, executive vice president and treasurer. "Our physical-facilities people will do some redesign on the mall project, and we will rebid it this summer. Although the work will be delayed, we're confident it can be accomplished within the budget without sacrificing any of the quality."
The Purdue Mall, located between Hovde Hall and the new Materials and Electrical Engineering Building, is scheduled to become a park-like pedestrian area.
A $3.45 million general construction bid for the new student-services addition was awarded to Hagerman Construction Corp., Fort Wayne.
The bid includes a full basement for the addition to the old Geosciences Building, but an additional $360,000 outlay for the basement will require approval of the State Budget Committee and the governor, Ford said.
The board also approved mechanical, plumbing, electrical and fireprotection bids for the student-services addition. The total project budget is $5.86 million, Ford said. Upgrading of the existing structure will total $623,000, with the general construction bid for that part of the project also awarded to Hagerman.
The student-services complex, comprising the Geosciences Building and the addition on its west side, will incorporate such student services as admissions, the dean of students' office, international student services, financial aid and student finance in a centralized location adjacent to Hovde Hall.
Expansion of the South Power Plant with the addition of a coal-fired boiler will proceed with approval of a bid from Foster Wheeler Energy Corp., Clinton, N.J. Ford said the total project budget, with funds from the state's 1987 bonding authority, will total $11,258,500.
The board also awarded a contract for $839,300 for construction of a chiller structure for the South Power Plant to Bowen Engineering Corp. of Indianapolis. Bids on electrical work in connection with this project were rejected. New bids will be sought later.
The board Friday also awarded contracts for several other remodeling and repair and rehabilitation projects on the West Lafayette, Fort Wayne and Calumet campuses.
West Lafayette campus:
* Grant Street Parking Garage repairs. Diablo Group Inc., Indianapolis. Base bid and alternate: $208,007. Total project budget: $233,000.
* North campus utility alterations. Quality Plumbing and Heating of Bunker Hill Inc., Bunker Hill, Ind. Base bid: $140,000. Total project budget: $163,000.
* Electrical Engineering Building -- remodeling of service dock. Murdock and Sons Construction Inc., South Bend. Base bid: $146,000. Total project budget: $159,500.
* Marsteller Street Parking Garage -- replacement of joint sealant; application of sealer. Trisco System Inc., Lima, Ohio. Base bid and alternate: $135,856. Total project budget: $148,000.
* Biochemistry Building -- laboratory renovation. Grunau Co. Inc., Indianapolis. Base bid: $104,500. Total project budget: $132,000.
* Owen Hall -- shower room renovation. J.R. Kelly Co. Inc., West Lafayette. Base bid and alternate: $95,600. Total project budget: $105,000.
* Purdue Mall -- storm sewer project. Shuck Corp.,
Indianapolis. Base bid: $60,200. Total project budget: $71,000.
* Peirce Hall -- sprinkler system. Grunau Fire Protection Systems Inc., Indianapolis. Base bid: $57,200. Total project budget: $70,000.
* Cary Quadrangle and Fowler House -- asbestos abatement. U.S. Abatement Inc., Hamilton, Ohio. Base bids: $38,439. Total project budget: $47,000.
* Lynn Hall -- replacement of breezeway floor. Shuck Corp., Indianapolis. Base bid: $38,500. Total project budget: $42,000.
* Cary Quadrangle -- parking lot resurfacing. Keiser & Keiser Inc., Lafayette. Base bid: $29,000. Total project budget: $35,000.
Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne:
* Neff and Helmke halls -- roof replacement. Dave Reid Roofing Inc., Logansport, Ind. Base bid and alternate: $114,412. Total project budget: $145,000.
* Helmke, Neff and Walb halls -- recaulking. Western Waterproofing Co. Inc., Beech Grove, Ind. Base bid and alternates: $76,120. Total project budget: $100,000.
Purdue Calumet campus:
* Student-Faculty Library -- room remodeling. R. Harker Construction, Crown Point, Ind., Base bid: $25,795. Total project budget: $42,500.
Purdue News Service: (765) 494-2096; email@example.com