Frequently Asked Questions

If you do not find your answer here, please feel free to e-mail Purdue Trademarks Licensing with your specific question.

What is a trademark?

A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol, design, color, product configuration, group of letters, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols, or designs adopted and used by a company that identifies and distinguishes the source of goods or services of one party from that of others.

What is a trademark license?

A trademark license is a written legal agreement between the owner of the trademark (licensor) and a manufacturer/vendor (licensee). The license grants permission to the licensee to affix the licensor's trademark(s) on a product(s). This license must be in place before use of the marks.

What are the benefits of a licensing program?

A licensing program exists to protect the name and marks of the University and to enhance the image of the University through the signing of licensing agreements authorizing the use of the marks on high quality and tasteful merchandise. It is also the responsibility of the office to ensure that the University receives the appropriate commercial value for the use of its trademarks.

Who must be licensed?

Anyone or any business/organization wishing to use the University's trademarks or verbiage of any product must have a license before offering the product/goods for sale. This also includes sale to University departments, campus organizations, and student recognized organizations. Premiums, promotions, and advertising are included as well.

What if I wish to use the University’s trademarks on a publication or brochure?

The trademarks of the University may not be used on internal publications, brochures, advertising, or miscellaneous print material without permission from the University. Please contact Purdue Brand and Advertising for more information.

How do I obtain a license?

Established companies 

The University partners with Learfield Licensing to represent its licensing program. Please fill out the online application form on Learfield Licensing’s website, or contact them directly at:

Learfield Licensing Partners, LLC
Attn: License Application
8900 Keystone Crossing, Suite 605
Indianapolis, IN 46240
Phone: 317-669-0808

Independent artisans

Indepedent artisans can participate in Purdue University's licensing program by obtaining a Crafters license. To apply for a Crafters license, click here

If you have any further questions about the process, feel free to email Purdue Trademark Licensing Manager, Erika Austin, at

Is there a fee to become licensed?

Yes. There is a $100 application fee, plus an advance fee and a royalty rate based upon the total gross invoice amounts billed (net sales). The royalty rate is variable, depending on the item.

What kinds of products can’t be licensed?

Weapons/firearms, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, sexually oriented products or designs, legally controlled substances, religious affiliated products or designs, patches, heat transfers, and appliqués are not appropriate items for licensing. Other products will be considered; however, the University has the right to decline any item.

Are student organizations or campus departments required to obtain permission to use the University names/marks/logos on items used as giveaways, fundraisers, or for internal use?

Yes, in order for the University to maintain and protect its value, permission must be obtained from Purdue Trademark Licensing and a licensed vendor must be used.

May public or private schools use any of the University’s marks as their mascot on uniforms, buildings, stadiums, or for booster club fundraisers?

We are always complimented when a school wishes to use one of our marks as their mascot, but our policy does not allow our marks to be used by any other business or educational institution, including public or private schools. In setting this policy, many factors were taken into consideration, including product liability, control of how the marks are used and who manufactures the product, and the policies of our peer institutions throughout the United States. For more information on this subject, please contact us directly.

Are any sales exempt from royalties?

Please contact Purdue Trademark Licensing for details.

Who needs to use an official licensee?

If your order will include a University mark in the design, it must be purchased by an official licensee. Please see the Licensee page on this site for a list of companies. If you wish to use a manufacturer/vendor that is not on the list, please contact Purdue Trademark Licensing for assistance before placing any orders.

May a business, corporation, or outside entity use the name or marks of the University in its name or as interior design?

The University's policy does not allow its marks to be used for commercial or promotional advertising purposes without prior approval; this approval is granted on a case by case basis. The University's name and/or marks may also not be used in any way that could state or imply an endorsement. The marks/names/logos may not be used as part of a business name or within the interior design of a business and its building and/or location without prior approval. Approval is not always granted for any of the above uses. For more information on this subject, please contact Purdue Trademarks and Licensing.

Purdue University, 610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-4600

2014 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Office of Trademarks and Licensing

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact Office of Trademarks and Licensing at